Can I help?

Anything related to new vehicles, artwork and mechs in mechvm.

Moderator: Skyfaller

YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Re: Can I help?

Post by YogSolthan »

Thank you, we had a good time and a lot of sun.
I've sent you the Howler, I hope it will work (in fact, I forgot to check a case while exporting that's why the mapping wasn't kept). If you want another model I will send it to you. And, maybe you've noticed but I've made some progress with the celestial serie (shown on my website), 4.5 on 6 are done. I think I will make a new header for my site with them.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Couldn't answer sooner, and now my head is full of ideas ...

Thanks for sending me the Howler. I was able to open it and it looks very nice. Unfortunately, I don't yet know when I will find the time to create the new textures, please give me two or three weeks. For integrating the Howler into MW2, I will have to separate the file into several limbs, similar to how the MW2 mechs are stored. Also, I will have to edit each limb to be a closed ("water-tight") mesh. So, as you are probably aware, there are slight differences between what we need for paper mechs and mechs for games.

From your webpage, I gather that you have separated skin details from the camo textures. Good.

I like your work on the Celestials. The only thing I would note is that a polygon is supposed to be plane surface. I might be mistaken, but you seem to wrap a single polygon around the front sections of the legs. This is evident from the sharp contrast between the edges at mechs' bellies, in contrast to the soft edges at the front legs. As a rule of thumb, for games it's best to use polygons that have three or four vertices, no more, certainly no less ;) The Celestials do not fit into the MW2 timeline (3040-3058), and we would need to make too many mechs from 3060 to 3075 to make a MW2 campaign with these mechs.

New textures for the MW2 mechs are not a big priority at the moment from my perspective, so you are free to do with them as you please. It's probably too much work to get a model to be useful as both a paper model (single, closed mesh) and a game model (separate, closed limbs). If they turn out real good, I might be able to adapt the models to MechVM's mech simulator, if that ever comes into existance.

If you have the MW3 CD's, you can use MechVM to extract the MW3 meshes with textures, in case you want to slap MW3 skins onto your designs. If you want to work on something that we can use for MW2 after completing the Celestials, the Nobori-Nin and the Hankyu are missing in MW2 and MW3 and would look nice with relatively few polygons.
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

No need to hurry, I don't plan to finish the Howler soon. I know my models do not match exactly what is needed for a game, you can modify them as you want.

You're right including the Celestials would require too much work since nearly nothing in 3D exists for this timeline. The front of the legs of the Seraph/Archangel is made of 3 faces, which explains the smooth light effect but can't be seen on the render.

I have the meshes and textures of most of MW3 mechs but I still miss the Pirate's Moon mechs. Can MechVM extract them also? I have made two models with MW3 textures and I like the result but that kind of texture make the creation of customs skins difficult that's why I continue to create my own textures.

I planned to work on the Artic Fox after the Celestials but since the 2 mechs you proposed are omni, they are on my "to do" list and I already begun to work on them.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

That is a very fine Naginata. I thought about making one myself, but MW2 lacks support for the C3 system which is the whole point of the Mech. It might still work as a Mech for mercenary units ... they would strip and sell the C3 system. But before I ask you for that model, I'll see if adding the Howler or Kraken to Titanium Trilogy works ...

Another thought: the Puma Mech in MW3 is a predecessor to the Cougar. Starting with the MW3 Puma/Adder, it should not be very difficult to edit the Puma's torso to look like a Cougar's ...

Sana.net: Puma, Cougar
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Even if I modified it, I didn't made the original mesh of the Naginata and I'm not sure that the author (madcatmaniac form mech3.org) wants to share it but you can ask him.
Skyfaller wrote:Another thought: the Puma Mech in MW3 is a predecessor to the Cougar. Starting with the MW3 Puma/Adder, it should not be very difficult to edit the Puma's torso to look like a Cougar's ...
The very close designs of some mechs is really a good thing for 3D creation, it makes the works easier :D
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

That is an awesome mech, YogSolthan. That looks so Mechwarrior 3 real. Nice job. :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Retexturing experiment, details missing.
Attachments
Baboon-rendered.png
Baboon-rendered.png (145.64 KiB) Viewed 15708 times
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I like the shape of that mech. It seems like it would look good with the right textures.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Nice results for your experiments on the textures. I've just realized I didn't send you the "blank" texture of the Howler, I will send you them asap.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Yes please, it would help me a lot.