Can I help?

Anything related to new vehicles, artwork and mechs in mechvm.

Moderator: Skyfaller

YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Can I help?

Post by YogSolthan »

Hello everybody,
Im' from the mechwarrior3 papercraft community and I've just discovered the MechVM project. I've worked on some 3D models to convert them into papercrafts but if they can be usefull for you, I would be happy to share them.
The 3D software I'm working with is metasequoia and the files format is MQO. I know it's possible to export the models into OBJ or 3DS but haven't yet figured out how to keep the UV mapping doing so.

Here are some examples of my work
A clan Howler [Baboon] from TRO 3055
A 3058 Raptor omnimech
Another 3058 mech, the Devastator

All these models are below 1000 faces and the textures are 1024*1024 JPG or PNG files.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Can I help?

Post by Skyfaller »

These are very nice. Would you consider donating them under a Creative Commons license?

Please feel free to continure our conversation from this thread here.

My attempts to make a Devastator have not been as nice so far, see below.
Attachments
Devastator2.png
Devastator2.png (72.06 KiB) Viewed 18091 times
Devastator.png
Devastator.png (75.26 KiB) Viewed 18063 times
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Skyfaller wrote:These are very nice. Would you consider donating them under a Creative Commons license?
I didn't know this kind of license before, it's really interesting but, do you think I can donate my models without using any kind of license? I just want to share my models whatever is done with them but I'm aware that not using a license may create some problems if a model is used for several projects. Copyrights have always disturbed me, it's very complicated :D. I didn't create the design, I think it's Catalyst Game Labs that owns the rights but I've converted it into a 3D file.
Skyfaller wrote:In essence, there are two types of mechs to make. The first are very low-poly, 100-200 polygons, for inclusion into the MW2 simulation. The other are mechs for MechVM, though I don't know if I will ever get to a point where I will have my own sim to render the mechs. Mechs for MechVM may use more than 1000 polygons.
I think my models will have too many polys to match the MW2 requirements since I want to have enougth details to make them look as good as possible when converted into paper.

Skyfaller wrote:My attempts to make a Devastator have not been as nice so far, see below.
Your Devastator does look nice, without texture mine is quite the same.

I've just finished another model, a Mad Cat III from the Dark Age era with a Steel Wolves texture.

I've worked on other models, I will post some renders later:
- Sirocco, my first model, the texture is bad
- Crab same comment as above
- Gargoyle [Man O'War]
- Executioner [Gladiator]
- Ice Ferret
- Naga
- Viper [Dragonfly]
My WIPs
- Stone Rhino [Behmoth]
- Apollo
- Stalker
- 3075 Celestial serie
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

New pictures of my models. These are some of the TRO 3050 omnis:
Executioner [Gladiator]
Gargoyle [Man O'War]
Ice Ferret [Fenris] (the textured are not as clean as the other models, I was in my intensive learning phase)

I forgot to mention it but all my textures use several layers to make the creation of different skins easier. The models shown above need to be reworked since I used several files for the texture, I want to create single file textures.
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Another mech with some part in common with the 3050 Omnis, the 80 tons Naga from the 3055 TRO

The first model which needs a lot of work to have the same details has my other models, the Sirocco, a 90 tons quad from TRO 3060

The 3D mesh of the Malak can be seen on my website
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Nice models! Looking forward to seeing more of the Malak!
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Thank you.
I forgot one of my Omnimechs from the 3050 TRO, the Viper [Dragonfly]. Now, I think I don't have other textured models (I've lost the textured version of the Crab).

I've done other models but the original 3D mesh is not from me, I just modified it a little and add a texture:
- Toyama (mesh by Madcadmaniac) the texture is really bad, I don't like what I've done
- Naginata with MechWarrior 3 textures (mesh by Madcadmaniac)
- Matador with MechWarrior 3 textures (mesh by Monkeyrum)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I have noted that the texture seams on the Howler and Sirrocco do not match at the polygon edges. I have written an algorithm that creates camo textures automatically and gets the seams right. The camo textures in this section were created in this way: viewforum.php?f=30

If you would send me the Howler, I would do some experiments with it. I should be able to export it from Metaseqoia myself, if that is possible with the shareware version. My algorithm requires UV coordinates. If I may add the Howler to Titanium Trilogy, and you would get more texture variants, wouldn't we both benefit from it?
YogSolthan
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by YogSolthan »

Sorry for my silence, I was on Holidays. Unfortunatly, the files can be exported into another format with metasequoia, but I will make some trials next week. Your suggestion for the camos is great, I simply use a normal camo pattern to create my skins, it's a quickly done work :oops:
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I hope you had a good time! And please keep me posted on those experiments.