Mercenaries - Enhanced Skirmish Mod

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Mercenaries - Enhanced Skirmish Mod

Post by Col.Kell »

(Please download repaired version HERE)
Finaly! Both my first Mercs mod AND the sollution to its crappy skirmishes.

Here in this mod are two things:

- A modded Mercs mw2shell.exe, which rather than calling out BWD files that contain a single hill, mesa, or small group of structures from the PRJ file (i.e., mesa1.bwd, mesa2.bwd, dune.bwd...), I replaced these call-outs with AREx files and WLDx files from actual campaign missions, so instead of these weak, whimpy little scene pieces, you have beefy "Beta 7" cities, ice pillars, ranging hillscapes... and now even weather like snow and rain!

- An "RMG" folder with extra BWDs. Now in addition to the old stale lighthouses, firebases, dropships and what-not, I have added new things. Like a rebel firebase, POW camp, crashed dropship, Draconis listining post, and so forth.

With all these new factors and environments, you will not soon play a dull moment in Mercs' skirmish missions. :)

mw2_003.png
mw2_003.png (8.52 KiB) Viewed 34665 times
mw2_006.png
mw2_006.png (25.39 KiB) Viewed 34666 times
mw2_007.png
mw2_007.png (47.29 KiB) Viewed 34667 times
An overhead view of the varying hillscape on a randomized skirmish.
An overhead view of the varying hillscape on a randomized skirmish.
mw2_000.png (5.86 KiB) Viewed 34664 times
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Mercenaries - Enhanced Skirmish Mod

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Great job kell, this one I actually will have to try.
This has been one of my major complaints about Mercs. I am glad to see you make a mod for it! :)
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I applied this to the MW2:Mercs DOS version, patched to version 1.06. Apparently, I only need to unzip this in my mercs main folder and launch an "Instant Action" mission. This is what I got. I never played instant action a lot, so I'm not sure what I should expect.
Attachments
mw2_004.png
mw2_004.png (8.83 KiB) Viewed 34649 times
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I apologize for the lack of info I posted. I forgot to mention, both the mw2shell.exe AND the RMG folder, both go in your main Mercs directory. And this is for DOS.

I got to try this again, and I found some flaws in RMG planet parameters when choosing planets. Please download this revised version, the planet selections are now either all Refusal War planets from 31stCC or other Clan planets, the discription of the "instant action" button on the main menu reads "Kell's Skirmish Mod", I have added a few more new scenery referances, AND, when you play these in the campaign, inspect enemy mechs for a little surprize. :)

Please download my revised version here
Skyfaller wrote:so I'm not sure what I should expect.
you put my modded shell in there, and THEN patched to 1.06, right? If so, you overwrote it. :P You need to patch and THEN put the shell in the directory (btw, my modded shell originates from 1.06, so I guess it doesn't matter if you patch or not) There will be occasional instances where you may not notice any major differences, but most often you will see dramatic changes (I don't even have to tell you how big).
Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Great job kell, this one I actually will have to try.
This has been one of my major complaints about Mercs. I am glad to see you make a mod for it! :)
Thanks :) you have any other "complaints"? I don't mind getting my chance at making more fixes. ;)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I unpacked the patch in a directory that was already patched to 1.06. I'll try the revised edition of the mod when I find the time.
MG_Man
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by MG_Man »

Hey, is this mod still around? The link is dead.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, it turns out that mod was stored in a website that the public couldn't access :oops:

Let me know if this .7z (7zip) file works for you.
MERCS_SKIRMISH_MOD_v2.7z
Mercenaries Enhanced Skirmish Mod
(293.57 KiB) Downloaded 3069 times
MG_Man
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by MG_Man »

Thanks! it generally works well, except sometimes when there's stars, you can see them through the ground as well, and sometimes hills and ground don't match.

Otherwise great! This really livens up the Instant Action for me.