NetMech Map Packs; Suggestions?

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

NetMech Map Packs; Suggestions?

Post by Col.Kell »

Although I am hardly ever on there, I am well aware that many of you are real netmech fans.

NetMech has been going on for, what, 13 years? I am certain that many of you have gotten bored over this period of time, and been provoked to jelousy over the fact that MercNet has had people make an infinate amount maps for it's players, no?

I am making this thread for NetMech map pack suggestions. What environments or pre-existing non-net mechwarrior maps do you think would go well for NetMech?
My one thought would be the enclosed urban environment of the Wolf mission in the domed city of Morges, or MacDuff... maybe Goat Path too?

opinions? :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: NetMech Map Packs; Suggestions?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I would love to see another map similar to setubal in height, but maybe with a walkable path all the way from the ground up to the 4k in the air.
(Yes, I love complex) LOL
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:I would love to see another map similar to setubal in height, but maybe with a walkable path all the way from the ground up to the 4k in the air.
(Yes, I love complex) LOL
:shock: Mmmm.... sounds a little... far fetched. I'm not that good of a map modder.

I was thinking along the lines of; what single-player mission environment would you like to see revived and be brought to netmech? (e.g., is there a level in any MW2 game that you ever played and said to yourself, "oh! wouldn't this make a great netmech map!")

Ah, I've got another idea, what about a space type environmet? Have you ever played Mercs and remembered that mission where you have to defend the giant Ice Ship?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

GBL also has some nice space ship maps.

However, what I would like to see, is a map with a high mountain. Perhaps some smaller moutains could be arranged to form that high mountain. The trouble would be to arrange them so that they fit seamlessly ...
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

heh do not worry kell I really do not expect ya to do that.
The map I would like to see in multi would probably be the GBL underwater mission.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Well, the undewater mission from GBL was created by a comination of things;

1) The scrounge file (which is what makes the cracks in the icy levels, rocks on the ground, or in some GBL levels, snow) of the underwater mission "PETESCRI" is a verticly slow-moving scounge with bubble .xel textures.

2) The pallete file that makes the colors of the level is unusual, it's made from a similar fashion of the light-amplification feature, only it's blue instead of green.

3) The gravity setting in the PETEPLT1 file is set to ultra-low gravity, that way players will get the underwater "freefloat" feel.

The only problem with making an underwater map like this is that the mechs used in that GBL mission, they were using .MEK files with very, very slow engines to compensate for the low-grav, if you had a NetMech mission like this, you would either have to have a type of KAM for that one NetMech mission, or enforce a rule that everyone would have to use something crazy like a 10XL engine. Otherwise, you would have people running at insane speeds, and that would just kill the feel of the level being underwater.
But that, I must say does sound a lot like a good map. :)

I don't know about the moutain type map idea though, you would never be able to make a map like that and be able to perfectly fit everything together piece by piece. (unless of course you were in a prison cell and had nothing to do :P )
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Col.Kell wrote: The only problem with making an underwater map like this is that the mechs used in that GBL mission, they were using .MEK files with very, very slow engines to compensate for the low-grav
It's not completely impossible, but it would be difficult to make sure people aren't cheating in NetMech. The mechs would have to be built normally in the mech lab. When the player enters the sim, we need to divert the call to the sim so that PRJPP could convert the mech configs before calling the actual sim. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced this works well myself.

Edit: Isn't there a modifier in some maps that affects mech speed? In that case, by setting that modifier to a large enogh number, it might achieve the same effect. Perhaps the Mercs tools even lead the way to that modifier. The other problem is that any armour breach would destroy/disable a mech section. Not sure, but I think this is why that special mech also has no internal structure. Side note: doesn't that make a mech am XL engine for underwater combat a bad idea?
Col.Kell wrote:I don't know about the moutain type map idea though, you would never be able to make a map like that and be able to perfectly fit everything together piece by piece. (unless of course you were in a prison cell and had nothing to do :P )
If we are right about how texturing works, we might be able to create .WTB's that use only a single color from .OBJ files.
Slavick Kell
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Slavick Kell »

...Cool col.kell I did know you got your own forum until just now. :)

What about the trial of position valley on Alshain in GBL? that would seem like a nice small-scale map.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Slavick Kell wrote:you got your own forum
Yes, congratulations for that.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »