NetMech Map Packs; Suggestions?

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: NetMech Map Packs; Suggestions?

Post by Col.Kell »

Thanks for the patched PLT1, Sky, it worked out quite nicely.

We have a serious problem though for the mineshaft map, the NetMech engine won't support negative altitudes, so we had to lift all the geometry and starting points to compinsate. Problem now is that you fall through all the floors, and you land down to zero and see all these shapes floating up 200m or so in the air. I don't suppose it's as simple as placing the singleplayer engine over the netmech engine?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Col.Kell wrote:Thanks for the patched PLT1, Sky, it worked out quite nicely.
My pleasure.
Col.Kell wrote:We have a serious problem though for the mineshaft map, the NetMech engine won't support negative altitudes, so we had to lift all the geometry and starting points to compinsate. Problem now is that you fall through all the floors, and you land down to zero and see all these shapes floating up 200m or so in the air.
By moving the objects down so that at least part of the objects is on the ground, I could imagine that part of the problem could be avoided. Perhaps the map can be rearranged so that more parts are on that ground plane, altitude 0. Is it possible to use another collision detection algorithm for the other objects?
Col.Kell wrote:I don't suppose it's as simple as placing the singleplayer engine over the netmech engine?
I doubt that the MW2:31stCC or GBL DOS engines support network play. However, MercNet might be able to deal with negative altitudes, and it has network support.

If it turns out to be too much trouble, there may be a day when MechVM will allow us to play that level.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Skyfaller wrote:By moving the objects down so that at least part of the objects is on the ground, I could imagine that part of the problem could be avoided. Perhaps the map can be rearranged so that more parts are on that ground plane, altitude 0. Is it possible to use another collision detection algorithm for the other objects?
I suppose trying a different collision method in each shape may help. I'll need to test that.
If the whole map is to be playable, with all geometry acessable, the lowest point on the map must be above 0m. Even if that was done you'd still have the rest of the map floating about 100m above.
I can help but wonder though, it seems like there were supposed to be large flat plates that were below the floor that kept this from happening...

Skyfaller wrote:I doubt that the MW2:31stCC or GBL DOS engines support network play. However, MercNet might be able to deal with negative altitudes, and it has network support.
hmm... that might be worth trying first.
Skyfaller wrote:If it turns out to be too much trouble, there may be a day when MechVM will allow us to play that level.
I hope so. :)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I need a different map project for a change. How would a modded Alshain canyon sound as an underwater style map?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I posted this earlier in this thread: There are factors that vary for every mission how fast a mech falls and how fast a mech can move. If you can find both, you won't need special mech configs, and it would be much easier to make underwater maps. Problem is that I don't know how much these factors can change the speeds.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Well, that would require tweeking the PLT1 file. But yes, i'd prefer to just moddify the planet file rather than dishing out all these MEK files. (BTW I took a look at it and it has an animation call-out for the light to give it the water-and-light effect.) But I wonder what makes the mechs fall so slowly in that PLT1...
Tim.A
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by Tim.A »

I would like to see a map where you are in orbit above a planet and you jump between dropships (yours and your allies). If you fall too far down, you will burn up and die on re-entry. 8-)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Just like the last mission of GBL? That sounds workable. Just fighting on the ships though, supporting to get inside would much trickier.
VLunarFangV
I.S. Baby

Post by VLunarFangV »

I'd be interested in seeing a game with a massive number of AI playing along with. Our computers can surely can handle that sort of pressure, right?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Oh yeah, definitely have the raw power but creating custom missions is still a in-depth process. I'm too busy working on something already otherwise I'd love to do something with MW2 as well. But you never know...might get this thing rolling soon and then I might have a look at what's what.