Col.Kell's Trial of Grievance Map Pack 2

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Before I declare it, do you think I should keep making map packs or just call this the last one?

You may select up to 2 options

View results

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Col.Kell's Trial of Grievance Map Pack 2

Post by Col.Kell »

As promised, here is the TOG_MP2, enjoy! :)
(TOGMP2 moved here)

In short, this map is a blend of levels. It's planet Port Arthur striped down, it's basicly Galuzza. With fire! 8-)
Sorry for not having a pix on me atm, I'll describe it;
It is made from the Galuzza forest WLD1 file, the CYANPLT1 file which is the marsh-type environment of Wotan, and the BLONFLM1 file which is where the flames from the Domed City come in.

But what else other than the fire makes this map so special, is that two stars of mechs come at you instead of one. The enemy also controls the skys with helicopters on their side. And the computer states out the planet name, temp, time, that sort of thing you'd hear in a campaign.

So, enjoy! I'll put up some pix tomorrow. Let me know if you have any questions. ;)
Last edited by Col.Kell on Sat May 16, 2009 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added TOGMP2 location referance
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: Col.Kell's Trial of Grievance Map Pack 2

Post by Col.Kell »

Here are two pix of this Karetah map that comes with the map pack
mw20000.gif
mw20000.gif (36.1 KiB) Viewed 16664 times
mw20002.gif
mw20002.gif (32.12 KiB) Viewed 16663 times
This is a "meat-grinder" mission, which is what Merc players nicknamed levels that involved 6 or more enemy mechs at one time. The helicopters are kinda pesky, they immediatly go for your starmates and fire away with their mplasers. You have to be carfull about which mechs you take out, because you may initiate another two stars if you hit the wrong ones!

Go ahead, try this out. :)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Just need to put this here to make a URL link. :P
kell.gif
kell.gif (1.9 KiB) Viewed 16648 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I would blindly vote for "more maps", even though I still have not had the time to check only of them. But may I first ask if the other projects you have in mind involve MW2?

We could create a campaign containing your maps if you make more.

Another thought: would it be possible to mix AI and network gaming for cooperative games?
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Actualy, I didn't have anything real big in mind. I'm the type of person who looks at what's not there and tries to make just that. :P

Yes and no to your question about the AI, Mercnet map makers have been struggling over this for about a decade now. They have reported that both vehicles and aircrafts work just fine, but they have far too many problems to include AI battlemechs. And also, I only know how to REPLACE files, not add. So the more AI you would put in a mission, the less human players would be involved. :(
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

install instructions?

seems like we need that for lots of things around here
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Install instructions are included in the zip folder.
I apologize, but unless someone is generous and makes a self-installer for them, the only way to use these is by use of either a hex editor, or Skyfaller's MechVM.

If you are unsure in using a hex editor, MechVM would be the easiest choice. All you have to do with that is use it's easy-to-navigate fetures and just find the file you are looking for, right-click it, click "replace with", pick the file you want, and you're done. you can get it here. :)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Kell, is it possible to run your maps without integrating them into the PRJ? As you know, you can run MW2 DOS from command line/DosBox like
mw2 kel1SCN1.bwd
Perhaps you need to rename the BWD files so that their names do not clash with file names inside the PRJ.

Creating an installer has been discussed in this thread. I probably won't be able to do much work on MechVM and related projects until Jan. 6th.

I'd really like it if we could take one of the official BT campaign books and adapt that into a playable campaign for 31stCC, GBL or Mercs. This is a little larger than creating a single map pack, and we would need MechVM to provide an alternate shell. But given sufficient endurance and patience, we might do something that has not been done in seven years - give the mech community a new campaign to play.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Kell, is it possible to run your maps without integrating them into the PRJ? As you know, you can run MW2 DOS from command line/DosBox like

mw2 kel1SCN1.bwd
Well, that would be good and all, I guess that would work if you ran DOS. Only problem with that is it requires the modded Port Arthur .wld file (SWISWLD1.BWD). You could play this game without it, but then all you would get is the same map you see in the above pix, only, the trees and flames would be replaced with the original Port Arthur geometry calls.
Now you could alter the new KELLSCN1 file to include the Galuzza WLD1 file (I think it's PERSWLD1.BWD... maybe, maybe not...), but still, you wouldn't get the whole map, you would have trees, but no flames.
I'd really like it if we could take one of the official BT campaign books and adapt that into a playable campaign for 31stCC, GBL or Mercs . . . give the mech community a new campaign to play.
Now if you wouldn't mind creating an alternate shell to acomodate a new campaign, I would create more maps on the spot. I'd probably need to WASM up some text compiles into .bwd's, then reverse enginer them to see what things change and such, that way I could figure out some things.
I'd love to be able to convert a storyline into a playable campaign, pick me a story! :)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Many of the older BattleTech scenario packs could be used for a MW2 mod campaign. The newer ones may use mechs we don't have, so unless we want to create many new mechs, I suggest to stick with what mechs we have.

The thing most badly missing for MW2:Mercenaries is the proxy battle at Tukayyid. This would have to be a Mercs mod, due to the involvement of Clan and Inner Sphere forces. I believe there is only a scenario pack covering that.

Another option would be a campaign in the 3025 time frame (also a Mercs mod).

The Refusal War started in June 3057 and ended in December that same year. On January 30th, 3058, the Falcons started the Battle of Coventry. There is a BattleTech Scenario Pack with the same name. The scenario might be well-suited as a successor to MW2:31stCC.

I'd like to hear what other people would like to see.