Build-A-World

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Do you think custom levels would be worth experimenting with using MechVM?

You may select 1 option

85%
15%
No votes
No votes

Total votes: 26

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Build-A-World

Post by Col.Kell »

Similar to my "Build-A-Mech" thread, I am dedicating a thread all to custom levels.
With a little help from MechVM, I was able to pull this off.

Behold! JumboDevin!
JumboDevin1.gif
JumboDevin1.gif (37.16 KiB) Viewed 18276 times
JumboDevin2.gif
JumboDevin2.gif (28.66 KiB) Viewed 18276 times
This Battlemaster actually got lost in this map! lol!
This Battlemaster actually got lost in this map! lol!
JumboDevin3.gif (27.97 KiB) Viewed 18275 times
...If Skyfaller is reading this, which he may be, let him tell me what the .BWD is for the Devin map, so I can post this wierd but cool map for people to play.

If anyone want's to try this themselves, contact me (or maybe Skyfaller) via the post. I'll gladly help out.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Build-A-World

Post by Skyfaller »

I'm very fond of the idea to create new levels. Regarding the images you posted, could you post an image of the original level for reference? Or post some details on what was changed? Is it intended for NetMech, 31stCC, GBL or Mercs?

While MechVM would require a mission editor sooner or later, I don't yet know how to change objectives for AI and the player in MW2 or how the drop points for the mechs are defined. I guess that these are the main obstacles for creating new campaigns in MW2 now.

For more complete screenshots, you may want to boost the far clipping plane using the patch in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=177

No need to have qualms over editing the PRJ, it can always be copied from your CD (or CD image). Please keep experimenting, post what you learn, and gather applause.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Col.Kell wrote: ...If Skyfaller is reading this, which he may be, let him tell me what the .BWD is for the Devin map, so I can post this wierd but cool map for people to play.
"He" is reading it. You can find a complete list of calling arguments for the MW2 sim in this thread. The *SCN1 files are the names of the BWD's.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Here is a new level I made this one I think works better and is less awkward than JumboDevin.
This was made from the map "Goat Path" from the skirmishes on MW2:31cc. I thought this map looked a lot like something that belonged in planet Gravanhage in MW2:Mercs, I replaced two of the mesas with a mountain pass piece and the wrecked ship hull. It looks like it was once a network of rivers.
Gravanhage.gif
Gravanhage.gif (26.37 KiB) Viewed 18220 times
Here is a view from the Wolf level "Scorching Sand"
Here is a view from the Wolf level "Scorching Sand"
ScorchingHull.gif (20.43 KiB) Viewed 18224 times
Here is a very long 'T' shaped gorge in the map.
Here is a very long 'T' shaped gorge in the map.
Mountain Pass.gif (25.33 KiB) Viewed 18221 times
Say, you other people out there have VM, why not you guys go out and try this? Share some creations in this thread! This is fun!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Interesting. You are editing the OBJ tags inside the BWD files, right? According to my notes, the words at offsets 15, 17, 19 in the OBJ tag give the x-, y- und z-coordinates. By editing these tags, you might be able to move the mountains and objects. It should work with mech limbs, too.
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

Cool stuff.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Edit the axis coordinates you say? I haven't done that yet! You mean to say that I can easily move an object by just the change of only 3 numbers?!? Where are these OBJ "tags"? Let me whip something new up! :shock: :o :D :!:
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

There are two ways of doing the mods you post:
  • Replace WTB's in the PRJ
  • Edit the mech's BWD's OBJ tags
I guess you replace the WTB's?

Mechs and maps are defined in BWD files, e.g. MadDog.BWD. The OBJ tags in the BWD files reference WTB files by number. I'm guessing texturing references files in the CEL directory by number, but I have not yet understand the mapping mechanism. I have altered MechVM to show file numbers to ease looking for such dependences.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

So far I have only modded the WTB's in the PRJ, I have not even touched those OBJ tags in the BWD's.
Can you by any chance do me the favor of constructing a short tutorial here in this thread on modding the OBJs in the BWDs? I am looking for a way to move geometric shapes to different locations on the XYZ grid. I would really appreciate the help, thanks.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Cool, I have learned how to mod some major aspects in the ***#plt1.bwd and ***#wld1.bwd files! Including changing gravity, default music, ejection option, floor detail, camo bitmaps, sky color, visibility, temperature, etc.

I think I'll make a mod tutorial later on what I know so far, and put it in the MechVM section.
I am still experementing with other bwd's.