Build-A-Mech

A section featuring all of Kell's projects and files.
Come and check it out!

Moderators: Skyfaller, Col.Kell

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Build-A-Mech

Post by Col.Kell »

hello all!

I've experemented with the PRJ a bit, and edited some mech chassis with just a hex editor (I used HexEdit 3.2), and look what I made!
:o
My first mech, a nova body and cockpit with a kitfox head.
My first mech, a nova body and cockpit with a kitfox head.
KTF-NVA.gif (49.22 KiB) Viewed 20507 times
:shock:
my second mech, a jenner body with a tarantula head. (you can't hit the cockpit because it is hidden inside the mech! So now you are somewhat safer.)
my second mech, a jenner body with a tarantula head. (you can't hit the cockpit because it is hidden inside the mech! So now you are somewhat safer.)
TAR-JEN.gif (20.38 KiB) Viewed 20508 times
HOW I DID THIS
(for example), the mech in the second picture I copied the data of TA1_HEAD.WTB (the info that makes a tarantula head), and I pasted it over JN1_HEAD.WTB, and then I got a jenner with a tarantula head!
MAKE SURE YOU DON'T ADD OR SUBTRACT ANY CHARACTERS IN THE PRJ!!!!! Make sure you have INSERT mode on. And if you are replacing (e.g.:) 108A number of characters, make sure you are highliting 108A number of characters, THEY MUST BE THE SAME AMMOUNT! If you are trying to replace a mech piece of greater data size with that of a smaller one, that is okay, fit all of what you can over the existing data, IT WON'T WORK THE OTHER WAY AROUND!
It's easy once you get the hang of it. :lol:
You need a hexedecimal editor (I recommend HexEdit 3.2 due to it's powerful capabilites and easy to use tools), and you need to know how to search for hex numbers using the "FIND HEX" ability too.

This is a fun activity! If you have questions, or want me to clarify some things, shoot me a response. I'll answer. :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Build-A-Mech

Post by Skyfaller »

Good work!

The NAIS mechs probably were made in the same fashion.

Did you know you can use MechVM's "View File" on a PRJ to browse its contents?
It will help you find mech body parts, just look into the WTB directory.
If you find more good combinations, that look like other mechs, we might try and
figure out how to add it to MW2, rather than replacing existing mechs.
MechVM will also allow you to exchange files of different size using the context
menu in the PRJ.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Thanks for the tip Skyfaller,

I Just found out how to do this recently, and so, I'm still new at this. I was able to add a Stone Rhino torso on a Direwolf, though, it looked a little glitchy and incomplete.
I would like to make some mechs into stuff like MBTs and aerotechs! If I can ever figure out what their .WTBs are named...
I also made a Stormcrow composed entirly out of legs, and when It walked, the whole body flailed around like crazy! Also, I made an Invisible Stormcrow! (But I guess there is no point in sending a picture of that :lol: )

npsbre and I are trying to edit some of the mechs (like the "TAR-JEN" mech) in the NETMECH.PRJ, so we can see, and use each others "creations" in online gameplay!

That's the cool thing about Mechwarrior 2, you can learn everything in the game in about a week, and 13 years later, it can still suprize you in new ways ;)

P.S., should you (or anyone) come up with a mech of your own, PLEASE post it in this thread! I'd love to see it!
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Here is the Stormcrow made of legs from a rear-view. ALL the limbs move up and down when moving!
Third mech, a Stormcrow made of legs, aka: "FOOTMONSTER"
Third mech, a Stormcrow made of legs, aka: "FOOTMONSTER"
footmonster.gif (31.08 KiB) Viewed 20487 times
(I was bored when I made that. Either that or there was an error.)
Freeza-CII
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Freeza-CII »

I want to see some of the vechiles i know there are a few in mech 2 not as many as there is in mercs tho.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I'm trying what I can, but I need to know the "code-names" to the .WTBs before I can get a hold of them. All parts/limbs have a two letter abriviation assigned to whatever mech. For example, Elemental would be abriviated as "EL", Timberwolf as "TW", Summoner as "SU", I just need to know what those two letters are. I'm guessing the body of "DROPZ" would be named something like "DZ", or, something. I'll keep trying.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I just purchased some software from eBay that has 3Dsmax with it. I want to see what I can whip up with a 3D editor when my package arrives...
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MW2 uses propriatary formats, and there are some details that we haven't figured out on the file formats in MW2, therefore, some reverse-engineering would have to be done. If you post some models, we'll see if it's worth it. However, integrating new models into MechVM would be much less of a hassle.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

They may be propriatary but they did use 3d studio max to create them... a really old pirated version in fact according to Repromancer.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

npsbre and I were to post pix of our netmech mod in this thread. I was helping him insert my TARJEN mod in his NET.PRJ, and we were testing the results. Here is my half:
netmw2_000.png
netmw2_000.png (5.07 KiB) Viewed 20418 times
netmw2_002.png
netmw2_002.png (4.92 KiB) Viewed 20424 times
That's what I saw on my screen. np said he just saw jenners. :?