What Were The NetMech Clans Like?

Looking for an old friend? Maybe wanting to reminisce about the past history of MechWarrior or Battletech? Post on here!
Forum rules
No swearing, and keep everything clean!
Threads will be locked at admin discretion.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

What Were The NetMech Clans Like?

Post by Col.Kell »

It seems often when I'm on chat or on NetMech and such, I hear people talking about the "Clans" that used to be on NetMech. Well I have only been around on NetMech since September of '08, and I don't know much about them.

Are the Clans still around? Where were they? What did an online clan do? What was it I was missing out on all these years? :?:
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: What Were The NetMech Clans Like?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hehe, well this is a long story... not sure you would be quite interested in it.

Either way the short of it is, clans are extinct in netmech, and appear in name only based upon convenience of who is online; since many of us were affiliated with several different clans we seem to change tags at will.
As for the past, clans held the purpose of creating a group of people with a goal. Most leagues that were clan based fought for honor points. Example: Mplayer Netmech League, MBL, MSL, MCWL, MCL.
Other leagues were planetary based such as the PWL.

For the HP leagues the primary goal was to have the most honor points at the end of the month. Simple right? Well, it was for some of the more popular clans, but only one of the clans I was in was actually able to accomplish that. DT(Dark Talons).
Then there was a few leagues which had a combination of both... I think MCWL had that for a while (Planetary & hp).

I believe that most of the planet war league's goal was the conquest of Terra, or having the most planets by the end of a cycle.
I was only in one league that had planets and that was MCWL... so I do not know about PWL or any of the rest.

On top of that there were clan politics of sorts. I can remember many many times where there was uneasy tension between clans, especially right before an MNL meeting of the khans.
Usually during the meetings there was some kind of vote on league rules which could dramatically effect the power of the league. Of the clans that were the most contentious I would have to say that DJC(Death Jester Combine), BP(Black Pythons)(My Clan), KB(Konad's Bulldogs) were the most engaged in this area. (Waits for Pepsi to chime in)

My first clan BP was one of the smaller ones, but my khan SikVik was quite a character. I miss having him around. Though he sure could get us in alot of trouble. LOL
One time he defaced I think it was a KB or SP room which led to a Trial of Grievance.... He lost sadly, and was banned from the MNL for a while.
That was a major nightmere for my clan, we were leaderless pretty much, though Morakai I think showed up... again... I was temporary khan during this time if i remember right.
After all was said and done a few months went by and we decided to give up, and create DT. I cannot remember the origional arrangement, but I do remember Nighthowler became khan, Casca Sakhan and I became Galaxy Commander.
Eventually Nighthowler dissapeared and I became Sakhan... same thing happend again with Casca and I became khan.... DT lasted a good while and we did pretty well all in all.

That is the short version... LOL
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Nicholas Kerensky left the inner sphere taking most of the military with him. While the inner sphere succumbed to barbary in the following centuries, Kerensky's remnants of the Star League were reshaped into the clans. Each clan takes its identity from a totem, and there 20 clans at the beginning. Over time, these clans were split into two groups: crusader and warden. The crusader clans wanted to return to the inner sphere, seeing Earth as their rightful objective. The clan that would conquer Earth would be ilClan, greatest among the clans. The wardens, however, saw themselves as protectors over the inner sphere. The clans prepared to return to the inner sphere. Among those clans are:
  • Clan Wolf. Although a warden, they joined the inner sphere invasion, in order to protect the inner sphere from other clans they found worse. They see enlightenment as their gift.
  • Clan Jade Falcon. Fierce fighters, the Jade Falcons are a crusader clan. They are constantly at odds with the wolves, who were Kerensky's preferred clan.
  • Clan Ghost Bear. A crusader clan clinging tightly to family ideals.
  • Clan Smoke Jaguar. A crusader clan ruthlessly punishing anyone who opposes them.
  • Clan Diamond Shark. After losing their warrior caste, they turned to commercializing their technological knowledge.
MW2: Mercenaries depicts the events before and during the clan invasion from the inner sphere's perspective. MW2:31st Century Combat tells the story how Clan Wolf draws Clan Jade Falcon into a massive conflict, with the goal of preventing the Falcons from threatening the inner sphere. Ghost Bear's Legacy is a campaign following that. MW3 tells about the annihilation of Clan Smoke Jaguar. I could never get myself to finish MW4, so I can't tell you about it.

There are many books on the history of BattleTech.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Sounds like a whole history. :)
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

netmech clans on mplayer were like this:

A highly dysfunctional group of members who consistantly bickered at each other, but when another clan comes in they all band together to engage into battle with the external group of members.

the Khans of these clans all had to attend league meetings where they engaged in high level bickering, only to fuel long lasting blood feuds between their clans and other clans.

Oh wait. This isnt much different than the Clans in battletech :)
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

i ran the MNL for a while. Pepsi is dead on.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

LOL I love that description, it fits soo perfectly!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Hmm.. may have been best I wasn't envolved. But from what Pepsi described as a "clan", I would have made a great Khan though. :P
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

heh, it was interesting that is for certain. Never was a dull moment with all of the drama going on.
I am relieved it is over for the most part. I was active 6-9 hours out of every day... my classes suffered severely back then.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

What about the MercNet groups? Now I heard from npsbre back in October on chat, he said something about the Hanson's Roughriders, and them being my closest option to an online clan. Is MercNet still alive or was my leg just being pulled?