What Were The NetMech Clans Like?

Looking for an old friend? Maybe wanting to reminisce about the past history of MechWarrior or Battletech? Post on here!
Forum rules
No swearing, and keep everything clean!
Threads will be locked at admin discretion.
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: What Were The NetMech Clans Like?

Post by Striker »

When I use MechVM for Mercnet, the window says it IPX tunnels to Mech2.org... so I'm assuming that running Mercs with MechVM, and going into IPX, does in fact allow us to play online, since i believe that is how the current Netmech build works. If not, I think it's just a small matter of editing a config file with notepad.
Madsonovich
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Madsonovich »

Mercnet works just fine, just like netmech. It just requires the cd so no one plays it. My last match in mercnet was with npsbre about three years ago....
If you run mercs using dosbox, just include the ipxnet connect mech2.org 10001 in the autoexec part of dosbox.conf.
!down
Striker

Post by Striker »

Well, like the other MW2 games, you really only need the CD to install it. With MechVM, what I did was copy my disc into an iso file, then used the install image button on MechVM to install it. Never needed the CD since, and even managed to launch Mercnet by myself just fine.
Madsonovich
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Madsonovich »

Striker wrote:Well, like the other MW2 games, you really only need the CD to install it. With MechVM, what I did was copy my disc into an iso file, then used the install image button on MechVM to install it. Never needed the CD since, and even managed to launch Mercnet by myself just fine.
This is true. But you still need the ISO, so basically you are still using the disc. Netmech was also released without the cd whereas mercnet was not.
It is really nice to see people that have played mercnet before. Sadly I didn't have an internet connection till around the year 2000, so I never played netmech or mercnet online. I would be really happy if we managed to get a few games in mercnet as well.
!down
Striker

Post by Striker »

Well, next time you are free, let's do a few drops in Mercnet then :)
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

As far as I remembered you only need a disc to host a NetMech game, and I thought MercNet was the same way.
Also due to Activision being behind schedule, they released NetMech at a later date for free, you could also buy it too, and was added in with later runs of MW2:31CC.