Can't Launch Missions

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

BATTLEMASTER IIC
I.S. Baby

Can't Launch Missions

Post by BATTLEMASTER IIC »

Every time I try to launch a mission, the game window blinks quick then returns to a mission failed screen. Running MW2 Mercs Windows 95 native on Windows 7.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Can't Launch Missions

Post by Skyfaller »

Try installing with MechVM. If it doesn't work, rename _dplay.dll to dplay.dll. If that doesn't work, you'll have to wait for a more drastic patch.
BATTLEMASTER IIC
I.S. Baby

I installed with MechVM and all went well. I'll give that a try, thanks :)
BATTLEMASTER IIC
I.S. Baby

Hello again, changing the name of the DLL to the one you specified did not help. I changed it in the install\MW2-Mercs-DOS folder. Was that the right one?

Thanks.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Please rename _dplay.dll to dplay.dll in the folder where the was installed.
Khan Tyranitar
I.S. Baby

Post by Khan Tyranitar »

I am having the same problem I am running MW2 Mercs in VM and the menus and all that works, but when I click launch to actually launch a mission, it reports that I failed the mission.

Any solutions? If you guys need more info, let me know and I will do my best to share it.
Khan Tyranitar
I.S. Baby

Post by Khan Tyranitar »

So I tried swithing to Windows XP, and using an older version of Mech VM, and it works some of the time now. I do get a display, but the game is unstable, very often giving me garbled data and a jittery image when I launch.

I was able to use the MW2 ATI Rage edition with MechVM, it seems to launch, but cannot play any actual missions, it just crashes, to be expected since it is a hardware specific version. I am expecting a copy of the regular Win/Dos version to arrive shortly.

In the meantime, I found no solution to the blank black screen in DOSBOX under Windows7. The game is running, I can hear the sound, and I can even click on stuff, but the screen remains black, making it impossible to do anything.

I have tried it on several versions of MW2 including GBL, MW2 ATI Rage, and MW2 Mercs.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Please check the display/rendering settings in your DosBox configuration file.
kchri
I.S. Baby

Post by kchri »

I am currently experiencing a similar problem. I have the ATI 3D Rage Edition (The "Not-for-resale Windows 95 IBM Aptiva bundled version") and am running Windows 7. I installed the game from the disc via MechVM and I can navigate through all the menus without any problems (Awesome!). However, whenever I attempt to launch any sort of mission, the screen flashes black for an instant and I instantly receive the "mission failed" screen. I already renamed the "_dplay.dll" to "dplay.dll" in the game's folder ("MW2-31st-DOS" folder under the "install" folder), where I believe it was installed to - yet I still get the same result. My graphics card is an ATI Radeon as well. Any helps???... Dos version or what? Thanks in advance!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Sorry, I cannot help you with the ATI edition. I assume that an older ATI graphics card and/or driver might help. A virtual machine will not help, since the OS in that machine would be presented with generic graphics hardware. You need one of the following:
  • An old computer with an old ATI card and a Win9X installation or
  • A DOS version of MW2 or
  • An ATI emulation layer, which doesn't exist and would take an expert to create