MW2:31CC 3DFX in MechVM

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

MW2:31CC 3DFX in MechVM

Post by LordNova2 »

I downloaded MechVM again, and i curently have MechVM-2009-11-29, I have a problem while trying to install MW2:31CC 3DFX in MechVM, it recignizes the disc fine (as "MW2: 31st Century Combat (3DFX)") when I go into Install+Import, however when i try an install it it jsut hangs up during installation (Installing MW2: 32st Century Combat (3DFX edition)", and it dose not look like it ever finished installing the game.
But here is the big kicker in the MechVM.exe 'consol?', notice in the picture it says "Patching C:\MechVM\games\mw2-gbl-3dfx\...", this is 31CC not GBL, not sure but you might want to look over MechVM to correct this.

On another through, did they ever even make a 3DFX edition of GBL? I only remember a 31CC and Mercs coppy in 3DFX.
Attachments
mechvm.jpg
mechvm.jpg (105.81 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: MW2:31CC 3DFX in MechVM

Post by Skyfaller »

It doesn't crash, but I forgot to add a message saying that install completed. All buttons still work for me after installing the 3DFX version. And I corrected the install path, but before I can publish a new version, there is still a long list of other fixes that need to be made and tested. MechVM alone cannot make the 3DFX version playable, you also need 3DFX emulation. I got it to work earlier on an XP system, but haven't checked if 3DFX emulation works for a VM that runs XP on Vista or Win7. It might.

There are no 3D-accelerated versions of GBL that I am aware of, apart from the BattlePack or Titanium Trilogy versions.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

FYI: I am using Windows7 Ultimate x64.

Well as far as I know (not sure what all is to be coppied over as wella s wht gets altered, or how to cross-referance what was altered) it did copy over the files into the games directory.
MechVM did not alter it's configuration file to add the game to the lsit. I renamed the installed folder to "mw2-31stcc-3dfx", as well as altered the "MechVM.dfc" file by adding:

Code: Select all

GameName MW2: 31st Century Combat (3DFX Edition)
StartMethod RunNative
GamePath C:\MechVM\games\mw2-31stcc-3dfx\
compatibility Win95
ExecutableFN C:\MechVM\games\mw2-31stcc-3dfx\mech2
Now the game will start up under MechVM, everything works correctly up to the point when i try to launch a mission. When I try to launch a mission it imidiatly brings be back to the brifing screen with the "Mission Failed" credentials. I could have altered something incorectly in the MechVM.cfg file since I am not familure with how this portion of MechVM works.

I could be wrong, but if i remember corectly it was the 3DFX edition of MW2 31CC that had the nice little checkered texture/skin on the arms and legs. That is why I wanted to try and sit down and play it again. It was eitehr the 3DFX edition or Rage Edition that had that littel detail in it, I know for sure that one of the demos to "MechWarrior: The Clans" also had this small detail in the graphics.
If I dig arround i think I can find a coppy of the rage edition that my brother had picked up, however I thought I read someware that MechVM would not be supporting the Rage Edition of MW2.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Under Windows XP, you could use dgVoodoo or GlideWrapper to make it work. AFAIK, these only work under Windows XP. It's still possible that it will work in a virtual machine that emulates Windows XP if you use Win7.

Such emulators are missing for the other 3D enhanced editions, therefore they won't work.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

Thanks for the info, i got it to work somewhat with dgVoodoo, some of the gpraphics are messed up and I have no sound. But i got a step further :)

Hmm this is odd, it must have been the ATI Rage edition that i sat down and played that had the "checkers" on the arms and legs.
Yea, it was the ATI Rage Edition that had that in it:
http://daxin.netfirms.com/mw2big/tbw03.jpg
http://daxin.netfirms.com/mw2big/mdg05.jpg

I wonder why I thought it was the 3DFX edition?