MechVM-2009-08-07

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

MechVM-2009-08-07

Post by Skyfaller »

Finally, after nearly five months of development, a new version of MechVM is ready for release!

Changes:
  • Games can be started from MechVM ("Play Game")
  • Under 64-bit Windows, DOS editions of MW2 are now installed into DosBox
  • Every installation creates a file install-report.txt that will help me diagnose problems with installations
  • Added translation support
  • Restored 3D dialog corners
  • Performance improvements for importing MW2 mechs
Download
Last version
Attachments
scr-ger.png
scr-ger.png (39.77 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
scr-eng.png
scr-eng.png (41.41 KiB) Viewed 13144 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MechVM-2009-08-07

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

very nice Skyfaller!

I look forward to trying it! :D
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Starting game through the "Play Game" button runs games either natively or through DosBox, depending on whether your OS supposedly supports DOS games. Using MechVM's shell to launch games so far only works for the JF campaign and as an experimental feature. Support for this can be activated from MechVM.cfg, which is also where you select the language for display, and you may have to reinstall the games. Translations would be welcome (*.lang files).

Another thing: for running the DOS games under WinXP, you have to click the command line window which is always present for MechVM, and Alt-Tab back to the graphical window after the game finishes.

It is no longer necessary to type in an install path. MechVM chooses it for you.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Oh, sweet! I've waited for some good news about MechVM! I..I, :D ,I..I
I will try the JF campaign under MVM. ...when I get my laptop back... that is. :oops:
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

With a good lot of stuff still under development, I decided to wrap what I got and release it, before returning to work on things that will take a little longer to complete:
  • Mech export
  • Integration of the Mech Lab into the shells
  • Completing shell support
  • Integrating IRC chat
NetMech shell replacement requires all of the above, so I think I will complete new shells for the single-player campagins first. I am thinking about how all the mods we have made would be best integrated into MechVM.
Col.Kell wrote:Oh, sweet! I've waited for some good news about MechVM! I..I, :D ,I..I
I will try the JF campaign under MVM. ...when I get my laptop back... that is. :oops:
I once took my laptop with me on holiday. It was stolen, and it ruined my holiday. At least you will probably get yours back.

There are a few things I could use help with for the GBL-TT mod. I have made some sketches for a WC-TT mod, but MechVM will need to progress a little to support it.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

ouch.. sorry to hear about your stolen laptop. It's not like money, data can't always be bought back :(

Well I finaly got my laptop back with minimal modifications... So I will continue my netmech map mods, and give this new mechvm a shot at. Nice work. How long have you been working on this entire project anyway?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Col.Kell wrote:ouch.. sorry to hear about your stolen laptop. It's not like money, data can't always be bought back :(
Thanks, but I had most of the data backed up, due to my habit to make a backup CD twice a year, and luckily, I still had a desktop at home, but it took me more than a year to get a new laptop. It was bak in 2003.
Col.Kell wrote:Nice work. How long have you been working on this entire project anyway?
I decided to revisit my MW hobby in May 2007. It turned out that ways had been found to get the MW games running again under WinXP, but setting up the games seemed tedious. So it became an objective to make installing the games easier again. And I had wanted to see how far I could get with programming my own MW game. I decided to stick with the original game data and started to dig into the formats.

MechVM made its first public appearance in this thread. At some point, MMPD lured me from mektek.net to mech2.org, and now I have four times as many posts on mech2.org than I have on mektek.net.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

And I am really glad ya did come! Your project is mainly what is drawing people. Thank you for working on it!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Let's see what else we can do with MW2.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Hate to have to report this, but there does seem to be a bug with the new play game button.
I always get an Invocation failed no matter what I do.