Broken stock configs

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Broken stock configs

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks, MMPD, I'll include the new configs in MechVM.
slickrcbd
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by slickrcbd »

Just checked a few 'mechs
Jenner primary AND Alt config A and B.
Extra jump jet in the left torso

Mad Dog Alt Config B:
Extra SRM4 in the right arm.

I could have sworn there was another one with an extraneous weapon critical that did not show up in the "battle" portion of the game, but I could no find it.

EDIT: I just realized I checked MW2, not GBL. Sorry.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks. Jenner IIC always has Jump Jets in the torso. I must have already removed the extra SRM 4 in Mad Dog B's right arm.
slickrcbd
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by slickrcbd »

Even if you remove all the jump jets from the Jenner, one remains.
I know I missed one more 'mech that has extra parts when you remove all the equipment, but I couldn't find it when I went through. I must have skipped one. I thought it was a heavy or assault, since I recall running out of criticals trying to make a custom build and realizing that there were extra things even though I'd removed all the weapons, but I really can't recall now.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM counts the number of Jump Jet criticals, calculates Jump Jet weight based on that number, and any Jump Jet critical may be removed. MechVM MechLab identifies a number of defects and shows messages accordingly, so hopefully, this won't be a problem. I changed a lot of configs already, I've lost count. A common thing with Mercs Mechs in particular seems to be that heat sinks lack criticals.
slickrcbd
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by slickrcbd »

Skyfaller wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 1:50 pm MechVM counts the number of Jump Jet criticals, calculates Jump Jet weight based on that number, and any Jump Jet critical may be removed. MechVM MechLab identifies a number of defects and shows messages accordingly, so hopefully, this won't be a problem. I changed a lot of configs already, I've lost count. A common thing with Mercs Mechs in particular seems to be that heat sinks lack criticals.
IIRC that's deliberate as I think it said in the manual for MW2 (don't have a manual for Titanium Trilogy which gave me 'mercs, all I have are the CDs I got from a library "Book Sale" for $3) that some are built in. Especially heavier 'mechs with big engines. They can have more than 10 heatsinks without taking criticals.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

The BattleTech Master Rules put it like this. Rule 1: "Every BattleMech comes equipped with 10 heat sinks as part of the design that do not take up tonnage ...". Rule 2: "A number of heat sinks equal to the engine rating divided by 25 (round down) are assumed to be an integral part of the engine ... do not have to be assigned critical slots".

It seems that for Mercs, the game designers chose to apply rule 1 to both tonnage and criticals to simplify things, but 31stcc and GBL applied both rules correctly. So, for consistency, MechVM will so obey both rules. That will also make it easier to integrate new mechs from official sources.