MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

MechVM Help Under Linux Ubuntu

Post by Col.Kell »

Hello all,

Recently I have tried a different method to get MechVM to run on my computer: Linux Ubuntu.

So, I download the source code .zip (the larger .zip) from www.mechvm.org, and it makes it's way to my computer. The unziped file is now located on my Ubuntu desktop.
I have looked at the instructions for Linux installation in the MechVM FAQ. In Ubuntu on my desktop toolbar, I have opened up the Terminal (that command prompt thing). I type in:

sudo apt-get install ********** ( *** = that freeglut thing)

well, it looks like everything is going well at first, but then an error message comes up and it says it cannot find the package.
The "package" I am trying to install (freeglut), is located in the main directory of the unziped MechVM folder on my Ubuntu desktop. I am using Terminal to type in the commands.

What could the problem be??? :?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: MechVM Help Under Linux Ubuntu

Post by Skyfaller »

apt-get requires an internet connection. If you already downloaded the package, try "sudo rpm -i <packagename>" - I'd have to reboot to check the syntax, if it doesn't work, type "man rpm" to list install instructions. The advantage of using apt-get is that any dependencies will be resolved automatically. Using rpm, you will need to resolve the missing packages manually. rpm should tell you which other packages are needed, but apt-get is the easier method.

Edit: Oh, and check the ubuntu installation CD. Some of the required packages may be on that CD