ATI-Rage Edition geometry

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

ATI-Rage Edition geometry

Post by Col.Kell »

I'm a bit curious, I was looking at the differences in the ATI-Rage edition geometry as compared to the regular, and saw this:

Look at this 2.0KB Gargoyle head from the regular PRJ...
Untitled2.png
Untitled2.png (35.39 KiB) Viewed 9781 times

As compared to this 18KB Gargoyle head!
Untitled1.png
Untitled1.png (35.33 KiB) Viewed 9779 times
This is just about what all the geometry in the ATI-Rage PRJ looks like, it is much larger in data size and it looks all scrambled. I'm not sure why it looks like that exactly, maybe the ATI graphics card this ran on "translated" these polygons into actual shapes? I just thought you'd like to see that.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: ATI-Rage Edition geometry

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks for telling me.

Sorry, I haven't spent much time on the 3D enhanced versions. I'm getting the same effect with the Matrox and 3DFX versions.

I'll get back to it later.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Oh, one more thing: could please tell me where MW2.PRJ is located on the ATI Rage CD (root directory on the CD) and its size?
That way, I'll at least be able to detect it ...
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I've been able to tweak the existing load algorithm to handle the 3DFX and Matrox versions of Mw2:31stCC as well. If things go as planned, I'll be able to test it with MW2:Mercs 3DFX next weekend, but I don't have the ATI edition yet.

I am impressed with the added detail found in these editions. The screenshot below shows the 3DFX models in the top row, and the DOS models for reference below.

If you post gg1_head.wtb, I can check if the algorithm works as supposed with the ATI edition.
Attachments
all.png
all.png (31.31 KiB) Viewed 9759 times
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

:shock:
Awesome.

Okay, Skyfaller, I'll get you a GG1_HEAD.WTB (and maybe some additional WTBs) from both the regular PRJ and the ATI-3D Rage Edition PRJ, and I'll provide specs on the ATI PRJ.

(/me rushes to the Vista, Flashdrive and all. :lol: )
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Here you are Skyfaller, a .zip with samples of PRJ geometry:
ATI_WTBs.zip
(33.04 KiB) Downloaded 585 times
the files that have "_REG.WTB" in them are WTB's from the regular PRJ, the ones that are "_ATI.WTB" are the ATI-Rage Edition WTB's.

The ATI PRJ is located directly in the CD's main dirctory, it is in no subfolders. (e.g., if your CD drive is D:\ then the PRJ is "D:\MW2.PRJ".) The size of the ATI PRJ is 46,409 KBs, which is more than twice the normal one.

Lemme know if you have any more requests or questions.
Off to my plt1.bwd project! Away!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks for the fast reply.
Col.Kell wrote:the files that have "_REG.WTB" in them are WTB's from the regular PRJ, the ones that are "_ATI.WTB" are the ATI-Rage Edition WTB's.
The regular files are apparently those in the DOS version. The ATI files are identical to the 3DFX edition files and display fine. Only in the last file, there may be a superfluous polygons ...
Col.Kell wrote:The ATI PRJ is located directly in the CD's main dirctory, it is in no subfolders. (e.g., if your CD drive is D:\ then the PRJ is "D:\MW2.PRJ".) The size of the ATI PRJ is 46,409 KBs, which is more than twice the normal one.
This helps, but the exact size in bytes would help even more ...
Col.Kell wrote:Off to my plt1.bwd project! Away!
Kapla! Oh, wrong franchise ...
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

In exact size, the ATI PRJ is 46,409,421 bytes.

P.S., what is this algorithm you are converting? I'd like to get a feel for the bigger better geometry in gameplay.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks.

What do you want to know about the algorithm? If you can read C++, it's located in MechWarriorIIPRJ.cpp, MechWarriorIIPRJ::loadMesh. The new version differs from the old mostly in a few constants.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

What I mean is this; what minor "tweeks" do you do to the algorithm in order to properly display the ATI geometry?

And, sadly, no. I am illiterate in the C++ field. But fortunetly, the hex editor I am using is strong and powerful, it has the ability to make C++ easy-to-read, all it does is display empty hex digits as "00" on both sections of the hexedit window, but, it's somehow supposed to make it easy to read.
I could preform an automated search for these locations you are discribing, but I'll shoot you back a post if I need some more help.