MechVM-2008-11-03

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

MechVM-2008-11-03

Post by Skyfaller »

A new version of MechVM has been released. As I don't like version numbers, it carries the current date.

Most important changes:
  • When installing from a CD with several versions of MW2, MechVM lets you choose which one to install
  • After installing an edition of MW2, browse the installed mech configurations in the Mech Lab
  • After installing a DOS version of MW2, view the new shell replacement in "Play Game" (incomplete, just a demo)
  • Mech tonnage calculation added to mech lab (Preview, bugs remain)
Visit mechvm.org for downloading!
Attachments
Mech Lab Chassis Selection
Mech Lab Chassis Selection
MechVM-2008-11-03.png (62.19 KiB) Viewed 9224 times
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MechVM-2008-11-03

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

nice! Good Job!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

All I see is the "2008-08-30" version when I click the link to your download site. What's the problem here? Where is the new "2008-11-03" one?
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Perhaps this will help: Hit F5 to force reloading.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Alright, cool. Thanks for the tip Skyfaller.

A few more questions,
what is the purpose exactly of this Mech Lab in VM?
Those videos on your website with the "mech gallery", what is this exactly?
And do I REALLY need to install a MW2 game to do what this screenshot above is showing?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM is a GUI for a collection of tools that are hoped to helpful in dealing with MW2. It can help install MW2, reverse engineer, and may include a simulation replacement at some point in the future.

I integrated the installer & mech extraction into just one button for the sake of simplicity. So yes, you need to install in order to get the mechs. Previous versions didn't do this, but it seems to be more intuitive this way, and for now, both the installed version and the extraced mechs are necessary, so why not do both at the same time?

The videos on my web page are meant to demonstrate that I have extracted all mechs in MW2 and can provide simple animations. I wanted to create a simulation, but I was busy so far with figuring out all kinds of stuff in MW2, which kept me from making progress on the sim.

Figuring out MW2 texturing would help me texture the extracted mechs and it would help with modding, so it's worth a look. After that, I'll want to finish the mech lab, which appears to be almost complete. Only then does working on the sim make sense again. I'd also love to provide a simple editor to place WTB files into a map as a simple map editor. You've proven it to be possible, but it's more work than can be done in a matter of weeks.

Comments on this are highly welcome.

FAQ
Mission Statement
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Skyfaller, you have just reminded me of something that could be a possible tool for MW2;

Long ago, just like MW2, there was also another game on the scene in the mid 90's, it was called "Descent". There was this tool that was used to drop and place geometry for the game, I believe it was called "DevilEdit" (or Devil-Edit). Perhaps this map editor is old enough to handle the WTB format, and provide MechVM users with a way to make game maps from scratch?
And thanks for the compliment on me "proving it to be possible". :)
Sapphire Wolf

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Dude, I love Descent! But as for Devil, I don't know if it will work with WTBs. It handles different formats (e.g. HOG, RDL, RL2)
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

hehe, I knew Sapphire Wolf would stumble on here sooner or later, I knew you liked Descent from your "O Rly?" pix.
Sorry for the false alarm, I forgot I had a copy of Descent myself and tried this and it didn't work.