MW2 shell screens

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: MW2 shell screens

Post by Skyfaller »

The PRJ has a palette directory, just load a palette first. It will be used for decoding the sprite. I don't have a list of sprites that assigns pairs of sprites and palettes. If you feel up to it, be my guest and post it here for eternal fame ;)
MG_Man
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by MG_Man »

All the palettes I try seem to make everything work mostly fine, just that everything turns out dark.

I'll keep looking.

EDIT: I had to fix this by manually making the palettes brighter. While it made some things look better, other things became garbled.
Perhaps there's an erroneous line somewhere in the source that makes things darker?

By doing this, I also found out that most of the palettes are EXACTLY the same, excluding the 'special' ones like infrared, allblack, red, monochrome, etc.

EDIT: In fact, the little things I thought brightening it broke, actually happens with the original too, so all that has to be done is make it read textures/palette brighter than normal.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

You're right. I selected a few palettes and checked them. I always assumed they would contain values between 0 and 255, but to my surprise, the values range from 0 to 63, even AllWht.pal => all white. So I'll have to multiply all color values by 4 to put them into usual range. Thanks for investigating this.
MG_Man
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by MG_Man »

Ah, I've done more investigating, and the 'seemingly different' palettes actually DO change things. Most are apparent near the bottom where the mech textures are.

The most noteable are the general mech textures - "JSCAMO--" colors would change depending on the pallette used. In some cases, so do the grey gun textures, Sometimes they might be blue, others brown, others inverted *Because of that, there are inverted textures of those underneath*

What we need now is to find out what missions/maps use what palette, this way we could get exactly what mech texture colors we want out of the .PRJ.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks for looking into this. The palettes might be assigned in the BWD files by the PALG command. If you open a BWD in the PRJ with MechVM, you may convert it to a human-readable XML file using the context menu.