Standard Mech Replacement

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Standard Mech Replacement

Post by Skyfaller »

OK, it seems to work. I've created a test version that allows to relace files in the PRJ. Use it in the following manner:

- Download MechVM from http://www.bjoern-ganster.de/MechVM
- Create a mech config as usual in the mech lab and save it, then exit GBL
- Run MechVM, open MW2.PRJ in the GBL directory
- Navigate to the MEK folder
- Select the MEK file to replace, the configs are printed to the command line
- Right click the file to replace, select "Replace with ..." from the context menu
- Select the new file
- Restart GBL, and you should be able to use the new config

I have tested two configurations with this and it seemed to work, regardless of the size of the new files.
If you made any changes with other PRJ tools/patches, remember to back it up.
I would love to hear about any experiences with this and about other applications ...
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Titanium Trilogy custom mech lab

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Sorry for the delay, I finally have had time to try this.
When I tried replacing the ele in NET.PRJ I got.
Replacing ELE00SPC.MEK with H:\Netmech\MEK\ele00usr.mek in-place
Caught an unknown exception while processing a mousebutton state change
Caught an unknown exception while changing size to 300x300
It does work though, the bad news is though that I think it creates the ability to create undetectable cheatmechs... I was able to get it to load a cheat ele, which normally netmech automatically rejects.
I may be overstating it as I have not dropped in a game yet... but at present, I believe, MLM only detects custom mechs; i think it excludes standard mechs.
I will have to do some testing tommarow.

Good job, I am extremely impressed you were able to get it to work so well!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Standard Mech Replacement

Post by Skyfaller »

Glad to hear you like it. I'll see what I can do about the exception, looks like a rendering problem, it did not happen to me yet, though.

About the NET.PRJ, it would be possible to exclude the replacement function for the NET.PRJ.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I think once I get a drop in a game to find out whether it is possible or not should be the determining factor.
I could be quite wrong about it being undetectable.. it has been a while since I used MLM actively to know for sure.
Besides, cheat mechs these days even if someone took one it would be of no benefit usually it is quite noticeable with or with out MLM.

Update:
Well, yes I was correct that it is undetectable; however, there is some good news.
Netmech does not scan standard variants for transfer to the opponent. So that means, even if someone decided to modify the standard variants they would only see the origional standard mech.
That means that the only thing that can be used in a multiplayer game is armor cheats. So in another words, a really highly armored elemental or firemoth can be created, but their weapons could not be altered (14 seconds of triple AC20's can finish it).

Anyway, I would not worry about limiting it unless you want to spend the time.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

(Cleaned up a little)