New dev goals?

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

New dev goals?

Post by Skyfaller »

I can't remember where I first read about it, but it's possible to replace mech configurations in the PRJ. For example, I found the configuration of the underwater mech unusable, and it's possible to exchange it with another config. I also use this technique to work around the Keshik maximum defined tonnage bug: I create a legal config, the program doesn't let me use it, so I replace an old config with my own one to play. So far, so good, but for most users this might be too complicated. It might be possible to integrate this into my PRJ explorer, but I can't work on several things at once, and I'd like to hear your opinion about some other projects I have in mind:

1. Include ability to replace selected files in the PRJ
2. Test adding custom configs to the PRJ, so replacing mech configs is not necessary
3. Try to disable lower mesh resolutions, so all game objects are always rendered at their maximum polygon count
4. Integrate a keyboard/mouse/joystick configurator that is compatible with input.map and similar files
5. Ask MMPD source code to integrate (4) into chat.exe
6. Keep working on my sim and mech lab
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: New dev goals?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

ya know, I love the idea about swaping the std with a custom, that actually would solve the config issue, but would not we need to create a new shell for mech2?
Or at the least a swapper before mission launch. This bug is solved though in non titanium versions of mech2.

I would love to see 1., replacing things in the prj would be immensely helpful.
The input.map if I have time i will see if i can create a parser that will read and write that settings in gui, that ones been on the backburner for the last year with all the complaints about setting controls.

As for the chat.exe for DROM, that I cannot give out someone else created it for Dark Reign and has been kind enough to let us use the client.
It will be replaced in the coming months with a new client though.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

We discussed online with Freebirth the possibility to replace the texture files. After giving this some more thought, I have to have say, it's a bit more complicated than at first sight, because MW2 works in color index mode. That means that any texture has to use the same palette as the mission it's used in.

As for file replacement, I don't know how to integrate that into the MW2 game engine, so the player would have to create the config, then switch to MechVM to change the PRJ file, then back to MW2 to play.

I can help with the parser for input.map, I'd be interested in sharing code.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

correct, that is why we never got very far with replacing textures.
npsbre discovered how, but was not able to get very far since they had to be identical in size and such.
He has more details on that than I do.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I think it's possible to integrate the following things into MW2 with a new MechLab:

- More engine sizes: Large, XXL, Large XL, Compact
- More engine ratings: up to 500
- Patched armor: choose whether to use Ferro-Fibrous or std armor separately for each section
- Triple Heat Sinks: Some Mechs apparently use these, but I can't find a reference in the rules
- More Gyro types: compact, heavy duty, XL

I think supporting these changes requires only slight changes to the MEK file.

"If anyone sees a reason this shouldn't be implemented, let him speak now or he'll have to confront reality later"
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

hmm interesting, i am not sure on that one myself.
The one thing I will say though in regards to the triple heatsinks, I read two days ago at the alt.games.mechwarrior2 newsgroup on areally old post that the triple heat sink you see on the rifleman and a few other mechs are bugs. It really was not intended to be there, and is considered a cheat kinda... as far as I am aware there are no triple heatsinks in Battletech.

As far as engines, that sounds like an interesting improvement I would be very interested to see that.

Patched armor though, I am not sure.... it sounds like a good idea though.
There are many times while building a mech that you want std armor in some cases so that you can have more criticals...

Gyro types, sound good.

Be aware though to test while you are trying these modifications, as there are bugs with MechWarrior 2.... At times you will get ghost weapons and ammo.
KickAssClone

Post by KickAssClone »

Hi,
I am KickAssClown (there was a registration issue), and I love that you guys are working on mod tools for MW2. Mercenaries has long been one of my absolute favorite games of all time.

I've been a lurker in the Total Annihilation Modding community since the game came out in 1998, and I've noted a major development within that community which has allowed the TA community to thrive beyond the limitations of the game's original deployment. The key to the TA Modding communities vitality is in four very basic tools: The UFO Packers/Unpackers, The Unit Model Viewer/Editor, The Map Maker, and The Scripting Compiler/Decompiler tools. Of those four, three of them are completely dependent on the first, the UFO packer/unpacker utilities. The same phenomenon was evident in the FPS modding comunities of the 1990s from Doom all the way on up with the various WAD packers/unpackers and such which allowed for the alteration/deconstruction of the game's content.

The UFO and WAD files of TA and Quake/Half-life respectively are roughly equivalent to the PRJ file of the MW2 series.

I recognize the beginnings of such a monumental tool here within your project, Skyfaller. I would like to help in whatever way I can, but I need some mentoring to figure out how to code within existing projects and to debug. I can do Java applications (stand alone GUI, webapps, and commandline) and I understand enough C/C++ to be able to branch out with some coaching. My main issue is in the utilities associated with C/C++.

Right now, my primary interests are in modding mechs, and missions. I have no idea how helpful this is, but I realized today while playing the game that the missions (and possibly all the other 3d objects) are made in bryce. It's likely that the texturing was done in bryce as well.

congrats on your hardwork,
Ian
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Thanks.

I'm currently recreating the MechLab, and I hope create a replacement for the 2D shell later. That would be an important step towards creating new campaigns.

As for modding mechs and missions, I don't see much of a problem here. The existing mechs can be reconfigured freely using the old and new MechLabs, there are about 70 mechs in MW2:Mercs, and there is NAIS, who have created new mechs. For the missions, I think MW2:Mercs offers a mission creator. That means: all we really need is bind the mechs and new missions to a new campaign, with a new 2D shell. I'd have to check up on NAIS and the MW2:Mercs mission creator though.

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=52 (NAIS, screenshot of a Shadowcat: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=30)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=53 (Needs some work though)

I still think creating a new 3D engine makes sense though, and it's worth the work. It will be designed to use content from MW2.

I can brief you into some things worthy of further investigation, if you like. Until then, you can use MechVM to investigate the MW2.PRJ and Database.MW2 files, if you like:
http://www.bjoern-ganster.de/MechVM
KickAssClone

Post by KickAssClone »

I've been using your MechVM and the NAIS's Mek2TXT and TXT2MEK utilities to perform customization tests all of today.

The MEK2TXT Utilities have incorrect values that are problematic for MW2: Mercs. The armor quantity-to-tonage ratio is wrong, and I have no idea how to fix it. The correct ratio is 8 quantity to .5 ton for standard armor in MW2:Mercs.

I would like to help with coding tools for development. oh and there is 56 types of mechs and a ton of variants in MW2:Mercs. You can find then number in the TXT portion of the PRJ called MECHNUM.TXT.

Are you familiar with Kinboat's 3DOBuilder+? It's a prodigious tool and apparently it got Kinboat a job at Gas Powered Games (the developer of TA). You can check out his source here (I guess). I figured it might be helpful to generate ideas.

I noted that both NAIS and you use some sort of unicoded/formatted document editor to create your .txt files. It creates artifacts when viewed in a ASCII/non-formatted text editor like notepad. Should I be editing the Mek.TXT files using Wordpad or Notepad?

Also, are you aware of these resources: MW2 3D, and New Wave?

I'm thinking about starting a suite of either Java or C/C++-based console utilities for editing the MW2: Mercs stuff for use with a GIDE later.

have you thought about using an existing 3d Engine and tying in the various tools and libraries you need? Like OGRE or JME?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

There are a number of projects that could use some more attention:

- Decode the EFA files in database.mw2. They are a variant of PCX, with some ffh and other control bytes mixed between. I compared screenshot from DosBox with the EFA files, but I haven't been able to decode them satisfactorily.
- Test adding the NAIS mechs to the Net.PRJ, and if they can be used in the 2D shell and/or 3D sim.
- Create a hook.exe to replace the sim .exe, and try to decipher calling arguments and BWD's for NetMech
- Figure out how the mechs are assigned textures.
- Try to completely decode the SFL files.

These are the most important and most interesting unsolved mysteries. Unfortunately, none of it is simple.

My text files contain German umlauts. If you need anything specific, I can translate it to English. If one of the projects interests you, I can give you detailed info my previous findings. I'll take a closer look at the rest of your post tomorrow.