MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Mr_Blastman
I.S. Baby

Installation of Mech 2 Dos/Windows CD

Post by Mr_Blastman »

install-report.txt
(15.15 KiB) Downloaded 1045 times
I'm trying to get Mechwarrior 2 to install from the Mech 2 DOS/Windows CD and it says "Installation complete, 1960387346 mechs imported"

Yet, nothing ever gets installed. I'm perplexed. My Mech 2 Dos 1.1 cd works fine, but this other one does not. The purpose, of course, is to install the Windows version so I can get the 3dfx version going.

The CD I think is the 1.1 Premium Edition.

I'm going to attach the log so you can take a look at it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by Mr_Blastman on Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Demonslayer
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: Installation of Mech 2 Dos/Windows CD

Post by Demonslayer »

i won't be able to help you Skyfaller has not been on in a while so you may have to wait or you can just pm him
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

It appears to be Pentium Edition without MW2 Dos or Netmech. Pentium Edition usually works badly on modern systems, unless you use a virtual machine like VMWare Player or VirtualPC.

Your CD is different from the disks I knew. The main reason the installer fails is because MW2.PRJ is in the main directory, whereas the Pentium Editions I knew have that file in the MW2 sub directory. I'll have to run some tests and post an updated installer.

Also, because the Pentium work so badly, they are not added to the "Play Game" menu, but may still be run from Windows Explorer.

Update: I have added a new MechVM.exe to this post. Please unzip it to your MechVM directory, and run the installer with your CD. Whatever happens, please post an install report.
Attachments
MechVM-test.zip
(270.92 KiB) Downloaded 868 times
Mr_Blastman
I.S. Baby

Post by Mr_Blastman »

Hi,
I'm using Windows 7 64-Bit and it says I'm missing MSVCR100D.dll when I try the .exe. Apparently this is the debug .dll for a development environment which I don't have. Perhaps recompile for the non development .dll? Thanks for all your help!

- Blast
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Right, please try again with the attached files.
Attachments
MechVM-2012-09-15-test.zip
(368.32 KiB) Downloaded 915 times
Mr_Blastman
I.S. Baby

Post by Mr_Blastman »

Okay, sorry for the long wait. I tried your latest file and it installs!

A few problems though...

When I try and run MW 2 I had to copy over from my DOS install all the .MAP files (keyboard/joystick/mouse layout settings etc.)... Well, I think that inadvertently causes another problem because the API is different between Windows/DOS so the mouse doesn't work in the game.

Not only that, but also missing were all the .MEK files. All of them. The .mek directory is empty and in the symlog.txt I get a ton of errors about unable to load all sorts of .BWD and .mek files, all in the subdirectory \mek.

I have no idea how to get the proper files for this.

I'm attaching the file so you can take a look at it.

So, we're getting closer.

A result of these problems is the game, when it loads, will not load to the title/clan selection screen and instead loads into a perpetual drop demo mode like instant action over and over.
Attachments
symlog.txt
(37.54 KiB) Downloaded 848 times