Current status and future goals

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Current status and future goals

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM has reached a number of goals, including easy installation of MW2 and the creation of certain content patches. At the same time, other projects have come to fruition. MechWarrior: Living Legends and the upcoming MechWarrior Online come to mind here. Working on a simulation in MechVM has received little attention.

As such, I get the impression that my work is needed more in other places, but it seems that MechVM can still play a role. I am speaking of many games similar to MW2, which can be made to work with some tweaks and patches. In the future, I think MechVM will focus on installing numerous games and programs. I am currently looking into X-Wing Alliance and Monkey Island 3, which have 16-bit installers that do not work under Windows 64 bit. If you know of more games, please let me know. I would try to obtain games that I don't alread possess on Ebay, when they are available cheaply.

In order to ease installing these games, I am currently working on a scripting language. This will make these games easier to install.

Please let me know what you think.
Sapphire Wolf

Re: Current status and future goals

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Nice!
BTW, IF GOG.com decided to include the Mechwarrior 2 Trilogy, will it be possible to install it from the setup file that GOG.com provides using MechVM or will it make MechVM obsolete (This is just a speculation)
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM's GPL does not rule out selling MechVM as part of Titanium Trilogy, but any changes they make to the source would have to be published. Alternativley, GOG.com would just have to apply Köntzä's patches and wrap it with a nice, new installer. If that happened, I might look into making MechVM compatible with the GOG.com release, but it seems that few people have tried MechVM's alternative shell.

Titanium Trilogy would require a number of fixes that require access to the source code. That includes palettes for the shell, the overweight bug, modern graphics modes, depth testing in the sim, faction logos, and increased AI settings just to begin with. I would pay money for seeing these things fixed, but I'm not sure if it would be a good investment for GOG.com.

The DOS editions of MW2 would be a good edition. There are far fewer bugs, and they appear to have a good amount of experience with DosBox games.

We could discuss buying the source code for all MW2 releases by starting a Kickstarter auction, to be published as open source.
Demonslayer
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Demonslayer »

I agree with you skyfaller titanium has loads of bugs without the source code we wont be able to fix them.
if we do ever do a kick starter ill gladly use my money i earn to help get the source and
if they ever do give the source code i hope they have a mech object editor,along with texture editors,map makers. so far
i am only able to add aerofighters and the mechs that that were not included to mercenaries campaign
so i say good job with mechvm skyfaller it is very useful.