Issues using MechVM in Windows XP Mode run in VMLite

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Enzo03
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Issues using MechVM in Windows XP Mode run in VMLite

Post by Enzo03 »

I decided to try using VMLite to run Windows XP mode because I generally find it more suitable to my uses to run WinXP mode in VM Lite. I am using this so that I can run 16 bit programs because my actual OS is Windows 7 x64. This will not run 16 bit programs. Specifically, I'm trying to mess around with CHASSED, which needs BWD files, and probably other kinds of files as well.

Now I don't want any comments on CHASSED because that is not what this thread is about. My problems are these:

1) MechVM doesn't have any UI scaling or anything such as moving around the buttons when the window is resized. This is no problem when running it outside of VMLite since I can just size up the window to what I need to be able to use the program but when I run it IN VMLite, its window is too small to display all the buttons when I try to look at, say, the Mech Lab in VMLite.

2) [s]That's not too bad I guess, but something else much worse has come up when trying to use this. While I can use the Install+Import functions no problem just fine, when I try to use "view file" to open up the MW2.PRJ (right now I'm just using the one for a MERCS 1.06 DOS install) I can select the PRJ file and click "open"... which simply makes the "open" window for which I can select the PRJ fil[/s]--oh, never mind. I just have to actually type in prj. So I guess the real problem is that when I click on the prj file, the extension isn't added. No REAL big deal but I would kinda expect that the extension for the file would be added if I click on a certain filetype.

So I guess problem 1 is really the biggest issue right now. Is it safe to assume that such UI scaling/auto-rearranging could possibly be a feature of future builds?

edit: and as it turns out chassed doesn't let you do anything. Oh well. :)
Someone talking about violence in video games, specifically Grand Theft Auto, wrote:HAY GUYZ I CAN HIDE ROCKETS AND AK-47S AND GUNS IN MY PANTS AND GET INTO POLICE STATIONS! LETS DO IT IRL!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Issues using MechVM in Windows XP Mode run in VMLite

Post by Skyfaller »

Hi Enzo,

What are you trying to do? Can you provide a link for CHASSED? Is it intended to be a chassis editor?

I'll see into scaling the UI when I find the time.

I'll have to check what is wrong with selecting PRJs.

Regards
Skyfaller
Enzo03
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Enzo03 »

dunno if there are any newer versions of it available elsewhere, but I got chassed here:
http://www.localditch.com/mechwarrior/m ... loads.html

chassed was indeed intended to be a chassis editor for mercs. All it seems to be able to do is open the BWDs and let you look at some of the data for them.

The program also has a wireframe view of the 'Mech, though only from the front.
Someone talking about violence in video games, specifically Grand Theft Auto, wrote:HAY GUYZ I CAN HIDE ROCKETS AND AK-47S AND GUNS IN MY PANTS AND GET INTO POLICE STATIONS! LETS DO IT IRL!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM UI was designed for a minimum resolution of 1024x768. Which resolution do you use/require, and which screens are the most important?

It would be possible to add Mech chassis editing in the following manner:
  • The user creates Mech parts using a program like Wings 3D or Blender
  • A MechVM screen would allow you configure the parts to form a mech
  • The MechVM patch processor (PRJPP) would be used to convert the required files to MW2.PRJ
You still need to learn a lot about the tools and formats involved, and I'm not sure how texturing would be added, given the limited amount of time I can currently invest into this.
Enzo03
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by Enzo03 »

Sorry for late reply, I have been somewhat busy lately. Classes are rough.
While I can definitely display at 1024x768 outside of VMLite, I highly prefer to be able to make a smaller window so that I can more easily multitask. I run on a laptop with a max resolution of 1366x768. In VMLite, I usually use a window of around 800x600 but sometimes something in between that and 1024x768. I very much dislike using the "seamless" mode for it.

I have not used MechVM in a while so I do not remember which screens tend to travel outside the window when it is less than 1024x768 - taskbar height. I believe the screens that are guilty of this are the ones that let you view the models and the PRJs as well as possibly the animation editing screens though the animation editing screen is crash-happy. Also I mentioned the Mech Lab window being too big for lower window sizes. That one I definitely remember.

I do understand that you don't have loads of time to work on this, especially as opposed to, say, the guys at hard-light.net who work on FreeSpace Open. :D
And I do look forward to the day that mech chassis editing becomes as simple as you put it.

And I do already know how to make 3D models. Thanks to MechVM I can visually see how a mech is put together as opposed to looking at a hex file or something like that... the latter of which I sorely lack in ability to do.