No sound on the battlefield...

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

lorirocks
I.S. Baby

No sound on the battlefield...

Post by lorirocks »

Nice to find a forum dedicated to Mech 2! After playing Mech 4 for a while I realised that it doesn't give you the same feel as the original.

I am using XP SP2. The disc I'm using says "enhanced Direct 3D and 3D positional sound"... "Activision 02K2402"... It's never had in game music. It also says "not to be sold seperately" The disc has the DOS version and the Win 95 version on it.

So anyway, I installed it with MechVM which went well. For the first time in years I had it running again. The sound in the menus works fine. As soon as I start a mission though, there are no sound effects or voiceovers anymore. Somebody was having the same problem on one of the older forums (Post in June 2011 on the mektek forum) but I haven't found any answers yet.

Thanks to anybody who could help... the voice computer was one of my favourite things about Mercs... I miss the internal ammo explosions... and long list of critical hits. Once I started a self destruct sequence... and she was counting down and I exploded on 3 ;-)
lorirocks
I.S. Baby

Re: No sound on the battlefield...

Post by lorirocks »

I didn't think I'd actually work it out myself, but I realised that the WAV folder didn't get copied during the installation, so I just copied it into the directory myself. After that it worked fine. So if anybody is have the same problem, that's all you have to do.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

hmm interesting. Good find. Yeah that probably is something mechvm left out because not very many versions use wav files.
I'm going to move this to the mechvm section since I think it is specifically related and skyfaller should know about it.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Recknar
I.S. Baby

Post by Recknar »

Hello, i have the same problem: no sound on the battlefield. First i played the game using MechVM and it worked (with sound) till the third mission and then crashed. After i killed the javelin.
Then i installed the patch 1.11 (viewtopic.php?f=17&t=514) over the installation made by MechVM and till then i have no sound on the battlefield. Iam using Mercs enhanced D3D edition wich has no WAV folder. I hope u can help me out.

Thank you!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Patch 1.1 has often been the cause of problems. As I see it, you have several options, but they may not fully cure your problems:
  • Accept that there is no sound
  • Revert to the unpatched version by reinstalling from CD
  • Upgrade to Titanium Trilogy - this will give you sound and dynamic salvage, and works quite stable in MechVM
  • Try to run it in VMWare - IIRC, it beats Microsoft's VirtualPC in terms of 3D acceleration