MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Open MW2 Engine

Post by Skyfaller »

Hi,

as I already mentioned in Introductions, I would like to create my own new mech engine. I would like to discuss the details in this thread if nobody minds.

I currently use my own website as a data dump for what I created. You will find sources, executables and videos there: http://www.bjoern-ganster.de/MechVM/. The mech models were created by Whammy. The videos show that I have extracted the models, but I don't have textures for them yet.

I use OpenGL, so the software can be compiled under Linux if you like (just ran "qmake; make" in the src directory). So far, the software is able to extract and display mech models from the PRJ files, but the game mode will still take a lot of time to complete.
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Re: Open MW2 Engine

Post by npsbre »

Very nice! Compiles and runs just fine for me from what I can see (Kubuntu 7.10).

I love the unpack function... sure beats manually copying the stuff out or using prjget or something.

Great work. I'm still playing around trying to figure out the entirety of what you have here.
npsbre

Post by npsbre »

Battlemaster head!
Attachments
bmhead.jpg
bmhead.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 12147 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I'm afraid the Readme file isn't quite up-to-date.

- Play game
Well, this doesn't do much yet, but it deserves that special place. Displays the currently available mechs. Navigate using the following keys: a, s, d, w, n, m. If you compiled from sources, you still require the data from the win32 executable. Point the path defined in MechVM.cfg to the mech data. Furthermore, run "Import data" first.
- Import data
Extracts mech models for use in the mech lab and the game

If you have any more questions, I'll be happy to help.
npsbre

Post by npsbre »

Actually, your documentation is great. Thanks.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Sorry to disappoint you, but there are limits to the Linux version. So far, import data only works with CD-ROMs that are assigned Windows drive letters, not Linux mount points. That means you currently won't be able to import mechs for the mech lab or the game. Perhaps WINE can help you until I fix this.

If you want to take a look at some of the images in the SHP folder, please select a palette in PAL folder first.
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

i have played with this before, I was using it to extract sounds. i got a lot of really good ones, but the betty files we all garbled when they played. had there been any advancement in that area?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I've not made any progress on decoding sound since my last on this topic here:

http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=84311

I'm no expert on sound compression, and I've checked some of Window's codecs with no success. At least I found a way to denoise the blocks that contain information I can't decode. While there are several formats I haven't decoded completely yet, I currently focus on getting the mech lab running for now.