Mechwarrior 2 Pentium installs, but does not run.

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Ice Cream Man
I.S. Baby

Mechwarrior 2 Pentium installs, but does not run.

Post by Ice Cream Man »

Hello there.

when I installed Mechwarrior 2 Petium edition through Mechvm, it first said Mech2.prj could not be found. After a short while though, it installed the program anyway, importing over 16,000,000 mechs. i know that this can't possibly be right. Included below are the contents of the installation report text file. Not sure if I'm even doing this right, but all I know is that the start campaign screen has nothing on it, nor does the mechlab. I suspect it's because its the pentium edition. If only there were some way to trick computers into not reading their own hardware specs.
Attachments
install-report.txt
(111.77 KiB) Downloaded 515 times
nightbanshee
I.S. Baby

Re: Mechwarrior 2 Pentium installs, but does not run.

Post by nightbanshee »

Hello, I am having the same problem. I am trying to install the Pentium edition. The install messages go by too quickly to see, but they also end with the 16,000,000+ Mechs imported message. I can also tell that the CD is not being accessed. When going to the "Play Game" screen, no games are listed.

As a check, I put in the ATI edition and it at least installs and can start the game, but the missions automatically fail when launching (if you are doing a campaign it says you failed the mission). I don't care so much about the ATI version, the regular version would be fine.

Here are my vitals:

MW2 Versions: Pentium Edition (windows 95) also have tried ATI extreme edition.

I've attached the Pentium Edition install report. and here is the output from the MechVM message window:

Code: Select all

MechVM-2010-06-15
This is the message window for MechVM. If you close it, MechVM terminates.
No joysticks found
GL Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
GL Renderer: GDI Generic
GL Version: 1.1.0
Install option: Install MW2: 31st Century Combat (DOS+Win) from D:\
Installing MW2: 31st Century Combat (DOS)
Could not find D:\vesachk.exe
Could not find D:\fixboot.exe
Could not find D:\inwin.exe
Could not find D:\german.lrm
Installation successful, now importing mechs
Could not open file for import: C:\MechVM-win32-2010-06-15\games\mw2-31st\mw2.pr
j
Could not open C:\MechVM-win32-2010-06-15\games\mw2-31st\net.prj: The system can
not find the file specified.
Could not open file for import: C:\MechVM-win32-2010-06-15\games\mw2-31st\net.pr
j
Cannot import - MW2.PRJ not found

Installation complete, 1637060 mechs imported
Attachments
pentium_install_report.txt
(14.98 KiB) Downloaded 517 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Mechwarrior 2 Pentium installs, but does not run.

Post by Skyfaller »

I cannot fix the Pentium Editions. In some cases, it helps to rename _dplay.dll to dplay.dll, but that is all know about it. In general, the DOS versions of MechWarrior II work well in DosBox.