Can't start missions - Vista 64

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

the996
I.S. Baby

Can't start missions - Vista 64

Post by the996 »

Hi,

First off, this program looks like an excellent way to get my fix of "proper" Battletech / Mechwarrior (ie - not MW4's "Unreal Tournament in Robots"). I'm really looking forward to dusting off my mech and raking in the C-Bills again. MechVM seems to successfully installed on my machine, I can launch MW2 Mercs perfectly well and browse around the terminal, mechlab and so on. However, things are not quite right. When I launch a Mission I immediately get a Mission Failed summary screen and when I launch Instant Action it just instantly cycles back to the Instant Action screen. Launching the DOS Version gives takes me back to the MechVM launcher (Error Code 0).

I'm running Vista 64 and my version of Mercs is the DOS / Windows 95 Version 1.05 released as part of Activision's Essential Collection (listed as 3rd best version here). My version of MechVM is 2010-06-15. I'm running an ATI HD4800 but *not* with the latest drivers (as they cause issues with other games I play).

I've tried all the usuals - compatibility mode, run as admin - and have seen there are other alternatives to MechVM but I thought I'd seek help before moving onto Plan B. One thing I have noticed is that I have multiple options in MechVM when it comes to playing the game - 3 Mercenaries (Win95 Native), 2 Mercenaries (DOS, DOSBOX) and 3 MercNet (DOS, DOSBOX). None appear to make a difference. I've renamed _dplay.dll to dplay.dll in the games folder but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Install Report is as follows:
Attachments
install-report.txt
(97.12 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Can't start missions - Vista 64

Post by Skyfaller »

Mercenaries (DOS, DOSBOX) is your best option. However, you need to create a disk image that DosBox can mount, and hint MechVM to use that while installing Mercs with MechVM. Have you done that?
the996
I.S. Baby

Re: Can't start missions - Vista 64

Post by the996 »

Thanks, I'd mistakenly pointed it at an ISO image rather than the CUE. That's done the trick but only in the DOS version - Win95 still behaves the same. Thanks!