Mercenaries crashes on campaign start

MechVM - A MechWarrior 2 remake.

Moderator: Skyfaller

Derek Bleize
I.S. Baby

Mercenaries crashes on campaign start

Post by Derek Bleize »

I've gotten GBL and 31stCC to run decently on MechVM and I've been trying to get mercenaries to run, but when I choose a campaign mode (join a merc unit, merc commander or instant action) it crashes. Any way to get it running?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Mercenaries crashes on campaign start

Post by Skyfaller »

To answer your question, I need more information:
  • Which edition of Mercs are you using?
  • Please post install-report.txt from where MechVM installed Mercs
  • How does it crash? Are you dropped to desktop, do you get any error message, or does it simply freeze?
  • Where precisely does it crash? After clicking some button, when entering the sim?
Derek Bleize
I.S. Baby

Post by Derek Bleize »

I believe it's the Mercenaries retail version, 1.05. I don't know too much about the different editions, but I think that's right.

When it crashes, I get an error message that says 'mercswin.exe has stopped working' and I have the options of checking online for a solution or closing the program. I'm running vista if that has anything to do with it.

It plays the intro scene and displays three buttons, Instant Action, Mercenary, or Mercenary Commander. Usually I can select Mercenary Commander and hear 'new career selected' and then it freezes on that screen. Since I've been typing, I tried again, and it didn't freeze when I clicked the button. This time I saw the cutscene of the dropship landing, and saw the interior of the base for about a second before it crashed.

The install report is attached. Also, I'm attaching a screenshot of the combat variables windows from Mechwarrior 2 and Mercenaries, both run through MechVM, side by side. I noticed on the Mercenaries combat variables the flaming logo that was there in MW2, but with messed up graphics. I attached it in case this may be part of the problem.

I hope this is all the information you need, and I hope it's clear enough and not too long. Thanks greatly for the help, and in advance for any more. I've been waiting 11 years to play this again, and I can't wait to see the Battle of Luthien again.
Attachments
The top half is mercenaries, the bottom is MW2.
The top half is mercenaries, the bottom is MW2.
combat variables MW2&Mercs.jpg (42.76 KiB) Viewed 21893 times
install-report.txt
(32.59 KiB) Downloaded 601 times
Nitro
I.S. Baby

Post by Nitro »

Try this patch method:
http://sites.google.com/site/mw2mercxp/

It worked for me after MechVM failed to patch one of my copies of MW2. (I think it was a version of mercs?)
Derek Bleize
I.S. Baby

Post by Derek Bleize »

Thanks for the link. I tried it, but it didn't seem to change anything. I think it was already patched correctly. Are you using xp or vista?
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Your version of Mercs 1.05 differs from mine in some details. I have mostly given up on running the Win95 versions on my Win7 machine. Your best bet is DosBox, but it also gives me problems. I don't think I'll find the time to investigate before the weekend.
Nitro
I.S. Baby

Post by Nitro »

Derek Bleize wrote:Thanks for the link. I tried it, but it didn't seem to change anything. I think it was already patched correctly. Are you using xp or vista?
Oh, I forgot to say, I'm using Windows XP.
You could try to use a virtual machine if you have a fairly new computer. Otherwise, DOSBOX is a good option.
Derek Bleize
I.S. Baby

Post by Derek Bleize »

I've tried dosbox before, but I guess I couldn't figure it out, but since you both said to try it, I figured I might as well give it another shot. This time, I actually got everything mounted correctly, I think, and ran mercs.exe. The initial cutscene started, and I was ecstatic. However, there was no sound, but I figured 'it's okay, I'll work that out later.'

When the cutscene ended, I expected the menu to come up, but the screen froze for a few seconds and some text came up on dosbox. It didn't make any sense to me. That's attached at the bottom. Should I stop attaching images and just start describing them?

So far, it seems like you were both right that dosbox was the way to go, but I have no idea what I'm doing past this point. I hate to ask for more help, but if someone knows what to do, I'd gladly accept any help.

And thank you both for helping me get this far.
Attachments
mercs dosbox problem.jpg
mercs dosbox problem.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 21863 times
npsbre
House Steiner Sergeant Major
House Steiner Sergeant Major

Post by npsbre »

This time, I actually got everything mounted correctly, I think, and ran mercs.exe.
Did you install first or are you trying to run off the mounted CD? You need to install if you didn't.

Regarding the green crash text, how much RAM do you have available? Not sure if that's it though. I get the green text occasionally when I crash while playing Netmech, but I can't recall getting it while playing Mercs. (I have 512MB RAM.)
Derek Bleize
I.S. Baby

Post by Derek Bleize »

I do have it installed. I have 3 gigs of ram. Could it be something with the settings in dosbox? Would changing the cycles higher or lower have any effect?