New Coke of the 80s, and the Soda War

Articles and such.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

New Coke of the 80s, and the Soda War

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=964#more-964

Good Article on how Coke made a dumb move in the 80s by introducing New Coke, but still was able to recover from it

Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Re: New Coke of the 80s, and the Soda War

Post by Col.Kell »

Good article, Pepsi. Thanks for posting that link.

...I'll bet you all didn't know that Coke was originaly formulated as a cough-syrup that had a "tainted" formula. :)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

uhhh...thats pretty much common knowledge...

Sodas were originally named from what they were intended to do
Brads Drink, later renamed to Pepsi (short of Pepsin), was originally intended to help digestion/stomach problems
Pepsin is an enzyme that is released by the chief cells in the stomach and which degrades food proteins into peptides. Pepsin was discovered in 1836 by Theodor Schwann[1] who also coined this enzyme's name from the Greek word pepsis, meaning digestion (peptein: to digest).[2] It was the first animal enzyme to be discovered, and in 1929 it became one of the first enzymes to be crystallized, by John H. Northrop.[3] Pepsin is a digestive protease.[4]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepsin

(Combined by Admin)

i should digress though
because that theory in how Pepsi got its name is one of many theories on how pepsi got its name
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

My dad worked for coke co. once, he said that the company used the "main ingredient" in coke to remove the grease from their delivery trucks. 0_o
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

i've always been curious about coke.
my (former) inlaws own an auto body shop and they tested if Coke would eat/dissolve through a car engine block one day.

The next day they looked it went through part of the engine block.

Of course a lot of people who ever heard that always say things like "Coke/Soda is bad for you. It can eat through an engine block, etc etc..."
Which i think is a total crock. I mean, everyone drinks coke and it doesnt dissolve through your stomach lining. Maybe due to the fact that your system processes that stuff in 1-3 hours. Or if its just a chemical reaction with Coke and Certain Metals/Chemical products in the engine.
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

Went to target and saw Pepsi Natural decided to try it
so good.

Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I'm looking at the crumbs on your tray. Clean the fridge. :P

I don't think that it's the metals that have a chemical reaction to the metals, I think its the strong digestive juice in the stomach that counteracts the acid in the cola.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

its my parents fridge :P
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Yeah, well you call your parents, Pepsi. Tell them they have one very messy refrigerator. xD

Personaly, I just stay away from sodas most of the time. Especialy the Pepsi (Pepsi-Wolf is ok ;) ). I nearly commited suicide from drinking too much of the vile stuff, I was sick and had a kiddny infection for a long time...
But now I drink Sprite, it's light on the junk but rich in citric flavor! (but never eat any spicy food and reach for that lemon-lime soda. It will only make it worse and you will suffer dire consiquinces :P ).

I don't know if the drink is over there, but there is a Mountain-Dew type of drink here in the south called "Sun-Drop". All the rednecks and hillbillys like it. It's BIG here. But I find it worse than it's pepsi-cola counterpart; if you look closely in those glass bottles you will see stuff that looks like mold just floating at the bottom. :shock:
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

if you look closely in those glass bottles you will see stuff that looks like mold just floating at the bottom.
hehe, I remember back in 95 or so I saw a coke bottle with basically a root growing in it, it was quite unique.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.