Ego homini Lupus

Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: ATi 4870 vs Nvidia 200 Series

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

(fan of nvidia)
decent review... i just wish it was applicable to my comp for upgrading. lol
My next card will probably be an ATI simply because they are the only option.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

I don't know. My laptop is older than my mom's PC, but when it comes to gaming, my ATi graphics card beats my mom's Intel graphics card hands down. ATi has been there whenever I've needed it, be it for my ATi Rage MW2 I played more than a decade ago or just on my cousin's Wii. :P
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sugar Pryde
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Sugar Pryde »

Since I've had my own computer I've only ever used ATI cards. The few times I thought about trying a Nvidia card, the prices were way to high for what I wanted to spend. (Although, the last time I even looked into one was like 3 years ago - the last time I had rebuilt my XP computer after being struck by lightning.)
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

I dont know how these PCs get hit by lightening?

We have a client who's server got hit by lightening twice.

Are you seriously keeping your PC hanging from your window with a huge lightening rod attached to it?
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Sugar Pryde

Post by Sugar Pryde »

LOL

1st time my computer was hit... I was a freshman in college... I had just gotten home and stepped into my bedroom during a really bad thunderstorm and my entire bedroom lit up. Scared the hell outa me. I went running downstairs to my mom and said "I think the house just got hit by lightning!" She didn't believe me but I told her to follow me into my dad's work room. We went into the portion of the work room which is my dad's computer room (home to some 10 computers) and there was smoke coming from the network mother computer. We later found out that all the computers on the network were damaged, so mine wasn't struck directly - but my network card was fried along with the expansion slot and my hard drive must have taken a hit too some how, because it never worked right again.

2nd time I was a senior in college, living on campus. I had been up really late working on a report, took a break to do some reading for another class and fell asleep leaving my computer on by accident. When I woke up the next morning I saw my computer wasn't on, which I thought was strange but didn't have time to really think about it. After class when I walked into the apartment, one of my room-mates was complaining that last night's storm blew her TV and her laptop wasn't working. Apparently, lightning struck our dorm. I went into my bedroom and turned on my computer... took forever to boot up, managed to get into XP for a few seconds before I got some sorta critical error and it popped back off. I couldn't get it to do anything after that. So I had to bring it home to my dad that weekend... he tried everything he could to salvage it, but everything was fried (well except for the monitor, keyboard, mouse and speakers lol) and he just didn't have enough spare parts on hand to rebuild it before I had to go back to school for finals week. He wasn't nice enough to send me back to college with one of his billion PCs, so I spent finals week in the library. :(

Now that computer is retired - sitting in a dell box. When I bought my new computer with the intention of gaming... Guy inherited the XP machine. Apparently, having a "hand-me" down computer that worked great for 2001 machines, wasn't good enough. If I had the room in my apartment, I'd see if I could get ME running on it so I could play some of my old TR games. :)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

hmmm... did you have a good PC powerstrip on either of these fried machines?
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

wow
i guess there is a legitimate reason to have a good surge protector

Lightening doesnt happen often here in San Diego
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Sugar -

The very same thing happened to us in the north-Nashville area of TN; one night on Friday the 13th the Weather Channel said there would be a servere thunderstorm, and we didn't think about it, but our TVs and computer were all plugged in, and--
Well, you know what comes next, the electronics were all fried.

The morale of the story? Unplug any electronics when the Weather Channel says there is a servere storm approching!!! Or you can get a surge-protector too.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Spend the extra dough on an online UPS. They are much better than a surge protector in general.. most come with a agreement that if your equipment gets fried they will pay up to $50,000.
I recommend Belkin's UPS.