Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Moar Oil

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

http://www.dailytech.com/Geologists+Fin ... e12481.htm

Discuss

p.s.
The comments are riddled with jokes about the Canadian Navy, which were quite funny
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Moar Oil

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

This i am not suprised about in the least, I have known for many years there was a ton of oil just waiting to be grabbed in Alaska. I am glad an article finally said that.
It truly frustrates me all the environmental protection we have which hinder us from getting things which we need.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I hope that if that oil is extracted, it's done careful, because nature is sensitive there, and cleaning up difficult or impossible. That oil could satisfy the world's needs for three years, but then, what? Oil is going to run out at some point, and our children may still need some of it, so we better work on alternatives. I go to work and back for nearly two hours a day, by bike and tram.

Some dumb kids removed the screws for my bike's saddle, but left the saddle, just to tease me.
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

i dont think we would should use the oil there.

If we were to attack our dependence on oil like it were a war (ww1 ww2) we could get rid of our dependence on foreign oil.

during ww2, we could build Liberty SHIPS in 4 days. if we were to attack the foreign oil porblem like we attacked the problems in ww1 and ww2, imo we could be off foreign oil in a year.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

I am confused.. how is Alaskan oil foreign oil?
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

because even if we use the oil there, it will run out and we will still be dealing with foreign oil in the long run, as well as the short run, if it was approved today, it will be years before we say any of that oil, let alone have the capasity to refine as much as we import.

oil needs to compleatly replaced. Zero barrels of oils ued a day.

Tho i wont vote for him, i love McCains idea of a $30mil prize for a %30 increase in battery effciency.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

yah.. but .. you do realize that if they had been getting the oil from there when they had the chance we would not be seeing as high of gas prices as currently.
Just because something takes a long time does not mean it is a bad idea. Especially if it helps in the long run.
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

but .. you do realize that if they had been getting the oil from there when they had the chance we would not be seeing as high of gas prices as currently.
absolutly,,,stupid envirmentalists have kept us from it.
Pepsi-Wolf
House Steiner Hauptmann
House Steiner Hauptmann

Post by Pepsi-Wolf »

Sorry,

I haven't looked on the forums for a few days.

Couple things to point out:

The oil found was not in Alaska (if that is what was being inferred), it was found in the Arctic, and several countries will try to lay claim to it. I think the article's comments mentioned something about Russia making a move there. There are several other countries (towards the end of the article) that have sovereignty in that region.

Environmentalists are not the only factor causing the hike in gas prices. There are other things to consider here. The attempts to regulate the oil companies in the early 2000s, which congress had thought would help keep gas prices down, but instead did the opposite. Sorry I dont have a cited source on this statement (kinda heard by word of mouth).
And Also the developing countries of China and India. Not to long ago, they both have come up with cars that are more affordable for the average (i.e. poor) person to be able to buy. Although this is great for their countries, it rises the demand in oil. India (i think) is drilling for oil off their shores and we're buying some of that supply.

Also, there is NO way we as a nation could get off our dependency of oil in a year. You need to consider that we as a nation use petroleum based fuels in many things besides our cars. Things like Aviation fuel, tar, ashpalt, etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum#Uses
There isnt enough alternative power sources for us to get off oil dependency. Sure we could blame environmentalists again for preventing us from building things: Oil Drilling, Nuclear power, etc... But when it comes down to it, it also for the most part is our industrial/commercial mentality.
The car companies have catered to the American consumer mentality for many years: Big powerful, gas guzzling, Cars and SUVs. There had been no effort into looking into an alternative fuel source for cars for many decades before we came to this gas price crisis. Why change things around when car companies were making great profits? And now the American car companies are struggling, on the brink of bankruptcy.

If we were to attack our dependence on oil like it were a war (ww1 ww2) we could get rid of our dependence on foreign oil.

during ww2, we could build Liberty SHIPS in 4 days. if we were to attack the foreign oil porblem like we attacked the problems in ww1 and ww2, imo we could be off foreign oil in a year.
Not exactly sure what you're trying to say here. Building a Liberty ship has nothing to do with oil dependency. Also would be a bit insightful if you could share how you have come to the opinion of we can get off oil in a year. Attacking problems like we did in WWII doesnt say much, other than declaring war on several worldly powers.

Also we live in a more modern time where most of our politics are being handled in a more diplomatic way, instead of just declaring war to solve our problems. Yes Yes, I'm sure someone will say "...well what about the war in Iraq, etc.. etc..."
and I could counter "...Well we tried many many times to get Saddam to comply, blah blah...". A conversation I wouldnt want to get into, to be honest.

Thats all i have to say for now
Pepsi-Wolf Ward
Ego homini Lupus

Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

Who needs oil if you've got this car:

http://www.teslamotors.com/