How is Titanium Trilogy soundtrack changed?

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
thecrankyhermit
I.S. Mech Washer

How is Titanium Trilogy soundtrack changed?

Post by thecrankyhermit »

It's my understanding that the soundtrack in Titanium Trilogy is somewhat butchered. I have Titanium Trilogy, but I recently got the DOS versions off eBay to compare the soundtracks. So far, Mercs and GBL have arrived.

First I looked at Mercs. The results here are pretty straightforward - most of the tracks in Titanium Trilogy Mercs have been truncated by about 60 seconds. As we speak, I'm building a CD image that uses the code of Titanium Trilogy Mercs, patched to work in WinXP, but with the restored DOS Mercs soundtrack (I have this romantic and foolishly idealistic notion that 80 or so years from now when MW2 is in the public domain these custom discs will be discovered by archeologists and become the definitive version of the game).

But GBL is confusing. Some of the DOS GBL tracks are exactly the same, some have been moved around, some are gone completely, and even more confusingly, some seem to have been added. There are five tracks on the Titanium Trilogy GBL disc that do not seem to appear anywhere on the DOS GBL disc. Did they compose new tracks specifically for Titanium Trilogy, or are these re-used from MW2, or something else? Does anyone know the origins and/or purpose of these tracks?
They are (using track01 as the data track):
Track05 - 2:03
Track11 - 2:21
Track12 - 2:11
Track13 - 2:04
Track15 - 2:15

And when DOS MW2 arrives, I'll likely have questions about that too.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: How is Titanium Trilogy soundtrack changed?

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

That is not the only problem with Titanium.... the weapons damage in GBL and Mech2 are completely unbalanced, and lack of completed wireframe.

Anyways skipping the rant I usually go on...

Your idea is good, but the problem with it is that I do not think that simply by trading the music from DOS to that, that the problem will be solved.
The issue at hand is that they renumbered the tracks as to what plays during the mission. You will be required to edit the sound track selection for every mission before you will be able to get the result that you are after.

Good luck.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

I like the idea of fixing the flaws many people perceive in Titanium Trilogy. I'm sure a lot can be done by properly motivated people, and I share your enthusiasm, Hermit.

There are some files in the PRJ that might be worth a look: one are the files in the MUS directory and perhaps some of the BWD files ("MUSI tag: 24 byte-reference to a music file on CD").

If you run out of space on the disk, try to leave out the MW2.PRJ files. But then you'll need the original disk for installing, and the custom CD for playing the game.

About the other shortcomings, I think I found the weapons tables once, and we could edit them. I don't know how to fix the mech insignias yet, and completing the wireframe is probably as difficult as rewriting the game. Whatever that means.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

You found the weapons table in the titanium version skyfaller? That is a find indeed!
I know how to edit the weapons in normal mech2, but titanium has always been a mystery.

As for disk space, honestly I think that is a non issue now a days.... he could just make a DVD and it would solve the problem entirely.
Or there are CD's which hold 800 MB instead of 700 MB.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
thecrankyhermit
I.S. Mech Washer

Space isn't an issue so far. My Mercs disc image, with the restored soundtrack, is only 643MB. And if the others go over, I'll just use a DVD.

Actually, I do have a Mercs question, though it's probably a non-issue. On the DOS CD, the music tracks are longer and definitely more complete, but they seem to end abruptly. Is this normal?

Also, what does "completed wireframe" mean? I know what a wireframe is, but I don't understand what you mean by saying that Titanium lacks it.

(Thread edited by moderator. The posts on Titanium differences have been split off into the General Section to keep this thread on topic as it is a great idea.)
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Pretty much when the game plays it in singleplayer it does not usually loop (at least for me).
I am not sure whether that was intended either like you said, but it is normal.

Keep us posted on how far you get please! You would make alot of people very very happy if you could provide instructions on how to fix the titanium edition's music tracks. :) Keep at it! I may dislike Titanium, but I really want to encourage you to keep at it and do not give up! If you get discouraged and surrender after a few days it truly would be sad. You have a great idea, and it should be pursued, especially now that we know so much more about the PRJ file and the internal workings of Mech2 in general. It should be possible to do what you are trying to accomplish, but not easily by any means. Search around these forums you may get a lead as to what you need to change. The BWD files I believe are your key. Compare them with Mech2 DOS. Use MechVM as your starting point.
thecrankyhermit
I.S. Mech Washer

I've been playing a little bit of Titanium Mercs (with the restored soundtrack) and DOS Mercs using DOSBox, and so far they seem to play the same music in the same places. Though somehow, the DOS version seems a bit more polished. I can't quite put my finger on why. Titanium Mercs has nicer looking textures, but the DOS version just somehow feels more "right."

Also interestingly, the DOS version has a 1024x768 mode, but I get a better framerate in Crysis.

I still have no idea what is the purpose of the five mystery tracks on Titanium GBL.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

You verified it against each mission when you launch in on single player? DOS & Titanium
thecrankyhermit
I.S. Mech Washer

Not every mission. Just the first one or two from each of the initially available campaigns.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Should check a few more because I have a suspicion that not all of them are the same.
To do this use the name FREEBIRTHTOAD on the signin for each of the factions as it will enable all missions.