Object viewer

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
allmhuran
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Object viewer

Post by allmhuran »

Not sure if this is already on the site somewhere, if not I suggest someone grab it and put it on mech2.org.

It's a 3d viewer for objects in the PRJ. Very useful for building new missions or mechs.

http://www.geocities.com/k_lupinsky/Mods/objv32.zip
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Re: Object viewer

Post by Skyfaller »

As an alternative, you can use MechVM's "View File" option on MW2.PRJ, Database.MW2, NET.PRJ, even with some of MW3's ZBD files. It also supports exporting single files in more useful file types like BMP or OBJ and unpacking the entire PRJ. I haven't used or seen the other extractor/viewer, and would like to know how they compare. Could you post a screenshot?

Putting stuff back into the PRJ works only limited in MechVM. There may be errors when replacing files with larger ones, and reversing the conversion is not yet possible.

You can find MechVM screenshots here: 1, 2, 3.
allmhuran
House Steiner Private
House Steiner Private

Post by allmhuran »

Nice!

There's not much to see in the program I linked. It shows a list of all asset names in the PRJ on the left, and a zoomable wireframe on the right. That's it. It was probably written over 10 years ago... :P

By the way... yes... the PRJ cannot be expanded simply by inserting data. All entities in the PRJ are referenced by the mechwarrior code by their absolute position in the file IIRC. Maybe wasm can get around this problem, but that's a complete guess.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

There is yet another alternative, there is still a program called "mw2edit3D" on sarna.net in the downloads section of Mercenaries. It is primarily used to build missions whle giving you a 3D gods-eye-view of your map, but it has this tool that lets you view WTB files as well, it is better then MVM at displaying large terrain objects and the like. But the small stuff like mech pieces and vehicles, it is no good at that. But overall, you want MechVM. You'll soon find it is just riddled with goodies for mods.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
Endymion
I.S. Baby

Post by Endymion »

I'm still amazed by what Mike and Pat did back then.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Here are some pix of the object viewer, I was stumbling around and I think this will work great as an alternitive to MechVM since I can't figure out a darn thing about OpenGL :)
objv32_a.png
objv32_a.png (41.8 KiB) Viewed 8361 times
objv32_b.png
objv32_b.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 8359 times
What I like about this program is that there is an xyz axis in the middle of the screen as to provide a sense of scale to the viewed objects, and you can zoom in, out, and rotate the object wherever by just the click-and-hold of a mouse.
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC