MW2, NoCD patches and DMCA

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

MW2, NoCD patches and DMCA

Post by Skyfaller »

For running MW2 in Vista, you need DosBox and NoCD patches, right? There is a condition in the DMCA that says that if an application will no longer run on commercially available systems, DMCA does not apply. So, does that mean that distribution of NoCD patches that are required to run games in Vista are legal?

"The current administratively-created exemptions, issued in November 2006, are:
Computer programs and video games distributed in formats that have become obsolete and that require the original media or hardware as a condition of access, when circumvention is accomplished for the purpose of preservation or archival reproduction of published digital works by a library or archive. A format shall be considered obsolete if the machine or system necessary to render perceptible a work stored in that format is no longer manufactured or is no longer reasonably available in the commercial marketplace." (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA)

Does mech2.org qualify as a library or archive in that context? We're non-commercial ...
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: MW2, NoCD patches and DMCA

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

I think that would apply more to large floppy disks and such, CD's are still commercialy available.
(Sadly even floppys are still commercialy available.)

As for the no cd patches, no, none of the mech2 versions require a mech2 no cd patch to get it running.
If it did we would have another problem of DRM circumvention.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.