MechWarrior 2 on Unity

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
VLunarFangV
I.S. Baby

MechWarrior 2 on Unity

Post by VLunarFangV » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:51 pm

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong spot. If so, please move it to a more appropriate location.

So some time ago, I had the inspiration to create a mech game on the Unity engine. As I was playing some GBL on the MechVM at the time, I thought about how MechVM exported the mechs into a folder. Long story short, I've converted a Timber Wolf into a .fbx format and can be seen here.

http://imgur.com/O3fHQZy
I don't know how to add on UV mapping. Sorry about that :(

I'm sure that if one aspect of the game can be exported into a more modern engine, how well can it apply to the rest?
I have had a thought about importing the animations, but I can't find them beyond some numbers in the VM's mech lab. Come to think of it, couldn't MechVM export a complete game when I was last here?

Skyfaller
Clan 2nd MechWarrior
Clan 2nd MechWarrior

Re: MechWarrior 2 on Unity

Post by Skyfaller » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:48 am

MechVM does not export the complete animations. Anyone willing to do this would this would be best off recreating the animations.

MW2 did not assert that the leg animations were completely synchronized with the ground. This means that if a mech is moving forward, the feet could move at a different speed than the mech, leading to something similar to a "Moonwalk" effect.

Also, exporting the levels would be so difficult that it may well be easier to recreate them in higher resolution.

So much for my thoughts on Unity. I won't be able to do these things for a while.
Download MechVM

If you have problems with MechVM, please attach the files MechVM.cfg and install-report.txt from the folder where MechVM installed your game.

MensloWolf
I.S. Baby

Post by MensloWolf » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:58 am

Skyfaller wrote: MW2 did not assert that the leg animations were completely synchronized with the ground. This means that if a mech is moving forward, the feet could move at a different speed than the mech, leading to something similar to a "Moonwalk" effect.
Actually in the MW2 Mercs engine, the programmers sped up the leg movement animations of the mechs so that the movement was better synced with the ground below.

navbuoy
House Steiner Seinior Corporal
House Steiner Seinior Corporal

Post by navbuoy » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:46 am

Oddly enough, I was taking an online course using Unity for 3D games...it's not that bad to use C #.
My main strength is animation...that is one aspect I wouldn't mind improving about the game.