Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

Post by navbuoy »

Have to work on this infernal clipping issue since I edited the BWD (using the Firemoth.BWD as it is the largest one of the mechs) I cut out all the other LODs and by doing that it clips the background since the EXE is defaulting to LODs at certain distances and not finding them in the BWD but when I replace it with a full older BWD it works just fine. I have to basically rebuild this carefully without making this new BWD too large and accidentally damage the PRJ I am messing with otherwise it is back to the drawing board with all my WTBs which is only 11 of them (since I just recycled the legs and feet) plus the BWD.

I was hoping to turn off the LODs but it seems like it's part of the EXE which makes sense. Naturally my only option is to duplicate my single LOD 5 times...I believe the last (fifth) LOD is actually the cockpit since it seems to point to weird Polys which have faces deleted leading me to believe it is a cockpit view.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Burnt out from RL and I might not be back for a while...just don't have as much time on my hands as I once did. Maybe things might change later next year and I can come back again then.
Take care folks.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Well, I have a lot of free time now...too much free time. Hopefully, I can resume where I left off and move forward with this. :D
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Hello there,
The plan was to add a clan with a small set of missions and 2 or 3 custom mechs.
The trick was going through all these old posts and trying to figure out what was being done.
The Wolverine Pulverizer was mostly done while using modified Firemoth legs.
A small intro and outro cutscene was also planned.
I do plan to come back and do some more work on it for fun...
CommanderHunter
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by CommanderHunter »

Hello, I must say that this is absolutely amazing work! Your dedication to this project over the years is quite inspiring.

Anyone reading this topic, take heed of this person’s trials, tribulations and triumphs, as they may be useful for anyone making their own custom ‘Mechs in the future.

I look forward to seeing your future progress! You can find me hanging around on the official MechWarrior 2 Discord. Username: CommanderCannon.
EddieSGophy
I.S. Baby

Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

Post by EddieSGophy »

Is it possible to add new leader ranks to PON? Or are the ranks hardcoded? If it is possible to manually configure, what files would I need to change? Could it be as simple as adding new lines to the LeaderRanks
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Oh man, it's been a while...
I use MechVM to edit the PRJ, mind you, my primary focus was the 3D models/meshes and Textures. Adding cities and all that fun stuff was going to be for later.

PRJ was compiled using a DOS Causeway tools suite.

There were various old DOS modding tools created by the community for direct PRJ editing as well.

There were some insights shared by one of the developers back in the day. One of his last messages was the hopeful release of the PRJ compiler/editor. Sadly, it never happened.
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

MechVM provides its own shell implementation. You could use that to provide your own screen that lead up to a mission, then use MechVM to start the actual missions. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll explain what you need to do.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Hey man thanks...will send you a PM :)