Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

Post by navbuoy »

Hi, (Sorry I deleted my original post and moved it to the appropriate section)
I was noticing that MW2 uses smacker (which I have experience using before making custom missions for X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter) so replacing the SMK files for the intros and opening clan sequences wouldn't be an issue.
The real question is it possible to alter the opening Clan Falcon / Clan Wolf choose screen?
I figure they're just bitmaps hidden somewhere. I might be getting old and missed the thread on it but I just can't find any info mentioned here in the modding section.

I noticed Kell made some custom missions by modifying the PRJ files are there any other custom missions out there? I really have the 3D modelling/animation itch and wouldn't mind making a front end for an already existing custom set...that would be cool and something that wouldn't be overwhelming to tackle for myself alone.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

Post by navbuoy »

I'm still browsing here and I'm thinking about having some fun with a pre-existing campaign. Gonna play it through and see if I dig it :)
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Looks like I'm getting serious about this now....been reading lots of the files here and already reinstalled my oldest 3D software to make my modest looking (going for an authentic dated look) intro.
Looking into playing Kell's Refusal war campaign. (Just finished Mercs and enjoyed myself :) ) If it's plays as I think it does I might get a bit greedy and replace more than just the intro SMK file. Might be able to whip up some neat little transition stuff to in order to give this GBL mod a complete facelift.
Demonslayer
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Post by Demonslayer »

May be worth a try
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Well, the unfortunate issue is I wasn't able to get the Refusal War mod to work. Seems to be an issue with the patch itself. So it's pretty much a no-go at this point. :(

If I had the time to devote to it - I'd try my hand at making one myself but I'm already working on other art/graphics projects at this time. I recently played MW4 Mercenaries and enjoyed it thoroughly - loads of perks over the original MW2 mercs (took a bit of adjustment at first but slipped right into it eventually). Yet, there's something about the atmosphere of MW2 mercs I prefer? Still a warm place in my heart for MW2. :)

So ya never know?
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

I haven't forgotten about this...downloaded a load of old school tools...*sigh* ya never know. Right now, I'm busy translating a hard to find piece of Mechwarrior fiction that I plan to include in the package If I ever get it going.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Going over Kells notes and the modding...I think I can take a stab at this...gonna try modelling something and post up what I get here.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Had some free time at work and I whipped this up...that's the easy part. Now its going to take me I guess a month to figure out how to get this guy in the game now...lol
Havokq3
House Steiner Corporal
House Steiner Corporal

Post by Havokq3 »

navbuoy wrote:Image

Had some free time at work and I whipped this up...that's the easy part. Now its going to take me I guess a month to figure out how to get this guy in the game now...lol
Sorry for asking, but what Mech is this? I don't recognize it, and I've never seen it before...
The year is 2015. For a Mail Officer, LIFE is WAR, and DEATH is the only true peace.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

It's the Pulverizer...it's an older mech and a clue ;)