Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Re: Adding a new clan to MechWarrior 2 intro screen

Post by navbuoy »

navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Seems like I can shifts the 2 axes X and Y all day long but things are so inverted its goofy. Translating on the X moves objects up and down and Y moves it forward and back in relation to popular mech orientation but the Z which should be the lateral does nothing. Looking at the Firemoth BWD the only value that even uses this area are strictly the B1 07 nodes with a $07 00 00 00 value?

That means I have to set the pieces locations via the WTB itself which really means I leave some of these parts alone and not save them at the 0,0 origin point before exporting.

2.5 hours trial and error moving the upper arms into place since the BWDs Z slot is impotent. Gonna take a break and try doing the lower arms, guns and etc..next then getting rid of all these LODs REPR tags and see how this thing behaves later.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

looks like a bodybuilder from the back

navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

ok ok I went to bed thinking about the axes being all screwed up and not making sense and visualized the problem then realized that I was looking at the BWD tag info wrong. I believe the info on the Binary lists are off a bit. So I was messing with the Y and Z translations and falling short of the X field all this time...so looked at them again and noticed the Scale field followed immediately after the world section. Now I have a bit more flexibility and that removes the mystery on how the heck Kell did this!

Added the launcher but all out of slots the rest are legs and I hate messing with the joints...need to totally redo the BWD now so I can add the antenna and just get rid of the LODs

I know I know i'm just spamming this place now...I'll lay off and stop bothering you guys. :)
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Coloured the launcher so figuring out the texture options here...I just used the knees from the firemoth and literally copied them over saw that it was indeed a section of a much larger texture that was stretched over the surface of the model so copied over the texel info from the knees and duplicated it again for the extra polys and looks good all around.

navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Seems that the Mad Dog and the Timber Wolf uses the same texture id (78) for their head WTBs...this includes the missle launchers as well.

They recycle the heck out of these textures.

Basically, its the missle launcher texture but the few tiny colour texels that comprise its perimeter are used to texture the majority of the Mech body with.

I just want to get this textured then move onto the legs (hope they work without messing up the rotations) then drop all the LODs from the final BWD and we got ourselves a finished prototype Mech - just a tweak of the MEK afterwards and that would be it.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

just a mock up

finally got the hips moved up so hips on up is completely custom and the bottom half is firemoth -basically got myself a mech now just need to overhaul the BWD and rip out all the LODs and tweak the textures on the WTBs.

Just photoshopped it together and removed most of the hills in the background...and a bit of clutter.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

*There is something I also noticed...I changed the scale on one of the WTB models and it was in the first REPR container (meaning it was the highest detail level LOD) but only showed up at a distance. A lesser LOD model appears to be used in the main high level listing?

EDIT - I trimmed all the LOD out of the BWD and it keeps the model stable (no dropping to lower detail) but severe Z clipping of some form wipes out the enemies and even the terrain! I might have to apply the patch to remove the depth limit.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Got the launcher texture put on so it is starting to look proper now...just need to stretch out the body textures to match the rest and then modify the feet.
navbuoy
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by navbuoy »

Was away on 'staycation' so didn't do much of anything but inhale oxygen and food. Update coming soon...