How do you Open the MW2.PRJ ?

General Mech2 related Developments go here. Discussions welcome!

Moderator: Skyfaller

Forum rules
If you are writing a guide please do not post it here! Post in the Dev FAQ section please.
TypewriterJason
I.S. Baby

How do you Open the MW2.PRJ ?

Post by TypewriterJason »

I've been away for quite awhile... apologies for that!

I wanted to ask; what did you mean by PRJ file?
Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Well, you could get it from the PRJ file if you looked around. hmmm
I do not think anyone has copied that text elsewise.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Reintroduce/introduce your selves here

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

The MW2.PRJ file contains all the mission info
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
TypewriterJason
I.S. Baby

Ah, cool. Sorry to be a newb here, but do you know how to crack that file open? I opened in a text editor, and all I saw was what looked like gibberish...
metroid_sax1
I.S. Mech Washer

Post by metroid_sax1 »

TypewriterJason wrote:Ah, cool. Sorry to be a newb here, but do you know how to crack that file open? I opened in a text editor, and all I saw was what looked like gibberish...
Use notepad, it's what everyone is using mate, I'm Anthro btw, welcome
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

metroid_sax1 wrote:
TypewriterJason wrote:Ah, cool. Sorry to be a newb here, but do you know how to crack that file open? I opened in a text editor, and all I saw was what looked like gibberish...
Use notepad, it's what everyone is using mate, I'm Anthro btw, welcome
No no no! Definitely do not open it with notepad!
You need to use either a hex editor or MechVM to examine the contents of the file.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
TypewriterJason
I.S. Baby

You know... maybe I should just open up a new thread instead of continuing the convo here, (let me know if you'd prefer that) but...

I haven't been able to crack open the PRJ files for the flavour text yet, but some googling and notes did let me hear about www.navalpha.net, which used to host the entire text of the holoprojector, which is where all that flavour text was in the game. the problem is that navalpha.net seems to be down.

I did find http://scandal.tripod.com/fasa/holoprojector/main.htm, which has the Jade Falcon side of the text, but not the Wolf, and maybe not the whole of the Falcon text, either. Anyone have a saved or archived copy of those files?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: How do you Open the MW2.PRJ ?

(moved posts as suggested to the Modding & Dev section)

Yeah navalpha.net is gone completely I think.
No, afraid not no one has that anymore.

As I said though all of the text is in the PRJ.
All you have to do in order to get the text is open MW2.PRJ in the open files of the MechVM program.
It will then give you the listing of the files. Dump the whole contents of the PRJ to disc.

After you do that look around and you can open some files as a text file.
If you need some help on which section to look in on the PRJ let me know and I will do some research.
TypewriterJason
I.S. Baby

This has been some good info; I might not have a chance to test it for a couple weeks but I'll come back and report what I've done. You've helped so much so far that I don't want to pester you further till I've done some work myself!
Skyfaller
Clan 1st MechWarrior
Clan 1st MechWarrior

Post by Skyfaller »

In MechVM, do the following:
  • Click "View File"
  • A file dialog will appear, select MW2.PRJ from the folder where you installed MW2
  • When MechVM opens MW2.PRJ, it displays a list of directories
  • Right-click the file list to open the context menu
  • Select "Extract All" from the context menu
  • Select a location where you want to unpack the files
The data you are looking for is in the BWD files, the ones named *BRF1.BWD, *DBRF.BWD, and DBRFS.BWD. You will need a hex editor to open the BWD files, though Notepad++ may work as well.