Heyo!

New or Old say hi!
dopefish7590
I.S. Baby

Heyo!

Post by dopefish7590 »

Hello, dopefish7590 here... :)

I've been a fan of Mechwarrior 2 for longer then I can remember, but it was just recently (A month ago I think) that I decided to see what kind of online presence the game had. A little bit of searching on Google didn't really have encouraging results, and there were only a few others it seemed that liked this masterpiece of a game this far in the future... So I gave up for a little while. A few weeks later I decide to check out what people's reaction to the soundtrack was, because according to Wikipedia; it was highly acclaimed. The Game Music Jukebox had a ton of comments from people who liked to play the game a while ago, and someone mentioned the mission "Arkham Bridge", a mission I recalled being really quite fond of. I decided to Youtube search it, and I came across this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EalgNe2N_-A

The "Mech2.org" in the top corner of the screen just pointed me here, so here I am. I notice that this forum looks like a modding community for Mechwarrior. I haven't really done any modding other then merging the ATI and the original versions so I could play the game with the Music and updated graphics on my Linux box... :)

Cya round the forums.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Heyo!

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hey welcome dopefish! (Sounds like your a fan of Commander Keen as well! :) )

Well, basically we are a mixture of modding and just plain playing.
Col.Kell is the resident modder and makes some pretty nice addons.
Skyfaller's mechvm tho is not a mod it is a remake of mech2/mech3 combo kinda. It also can install mech2.

However, primarily we just play netmech.
We play through dosbox on our ipx emulation server, and we use IRC to coordinate.
Occasionally we get 4-6 player games every few days.. pretty much just need to hang around IRC until a game comes up.

Anywho, hope you enjoy your stay!
Hope you come by!
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Col.Kell
House Steiner Archon
House Steiner Archon

Post by Col.Kell »

Welcome to mech2.org dopefish! I'm Col.Kell. I am who a few people claim to be the primary modder around here. You can check out my stuff in the Kell's Workshop section of the forums. Hope you get the chance to try some of my favorite creations! :)
dopefish7590 wrote:I haven't really done any modding other then merging the ATI and the original versions so I could play the game with the Music and updated graphics on my Linux box... :)
"merging" the ATi Rage Edition graphics you say? I have two copies of that version. I tried to put the enhanced geometry in the regular Pentium edition before, but with no success. Would you mind sharing how you did that? I would love to see such mod. 8-)
MechWarrior 2: 31stCC
dopefish7590
I.S. Baby

Post by dopefish7590 »

Col.Kell wrote:
dopefish7590 wrote:I haven't really done any modding other then merging the ATI and the original versions so I could play the game with the Music and updated graphics on my Linux box... :)
"merging" the ATi Rage Edition graphics you say? I have two copies of that version. I tried to put the enhanced geometry in the regular Pentium edition before, but with no success. Would you mind sharing how you did that? I would love to see such mod. 8-)
I guess it wouldn't be considered "modding" but more/less a bit of "creative combining"... Since I don't have the ATI version CD anymore (It snapped in half a few years ago so I later bought the Pentium version) and I still had a "Maximum installation" of it on my old Win95 computer. I also had the soundtrack in a folder on my other PC... I just copied the entire contents of the Pentium version install CD to a folder, and replaced the files with the same name from the ATI full install. I then took the "Hex-edited" version of the executable for DosBOX to let you play with a folder mounted as a CD Drive and remove the "No CD found" error into the MECH2 folder. Then burned it as an audio CD (With the first Track being the data) and viola, it worked. Maybe I'll try my hand at some actuall modding sometime soon here. Anyone know what the algorithm for opening the Mech and Map files is?

The dual-type burning process is explained here: http://www.associatedcontent.com/articl ... _same.html

I hope this helps you out. :)
Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Hey welcome dopefish! (Sounds like your a fan of Commander Keen as well! :) )
Yeah, I was a fan of all the old Apogee/3DRealms/ID games... To bad 3DRealms closed down just recently. :(

Anyway, thank you guys for the welcome. I'll be sure to try out some of your modifications Col.Kell. I have never actually played Netmech... So that will be new for me, I'll probably catch up to you on IRC to give it a try. What channel and server is it on?
Archon
House Liao Private for Life

Post by Archon »

dopefish7590 wrote:To bad 3DRealms closed down just recently. :(
Duke Nukem! nuuuuuuu
dopefish7590 wrote:I'll probably catch up to you on IRC to give it a try. What channel and server is it on?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=162
dopefish7590
I.S. Baby

Post by dopefish7590 »

Archon wrote:
dopefish7590 wrote:I'll probably catch up to you on IRC to give it a try. What channel and server is it on?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=162
Ah thanks, I guess I should've just looked around... Stupid question on my part.