New recruit reporting for duty...

New or Old say hi!
Michael Knell
I.S. Baby

New recruit reporting for duty...

Post by Michael Knell »

Hello to all on this board. I finally made up my mind on playing online one of the first PC games I played as kid. So here I am, looking forward to meeting you all in the field of battle.

P.S. Please, point me to the direction on what version of the game I must look for and how to set it up.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: New recruit reporting for duty...

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hey Welcome, glad to have you here!
Well, if you would like to play online all you need to grab is this.

However if you desire to edit mechs or your controls, you must own MechWarrior 2 DOS.
If you own this version the instructions for setting up the game are here.

For chat you are welcome to join us on IRC.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Michael Knell
I.S. Baby

Post by Michael Knell »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote: For chat you are welcome to join us on IRC.
When are you mostly present at the chat? I was there last night and no one was present (people were logged in, but no one answered). I live in Europe so I suppose that's why people weren't there.

Where can I get Mech2 for dos? I have a regular windows version with mercnet, I suppose that won't work with dos version.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Unfortuneatly the most active hours are usually 4 PM - 7 PM PST.
As for me I am up at sporadic hours, occasionaly you can catch me up 2-3 AM PST... but I probably would be the only one up.

Now MechWarrior 2 DOS copies, pretty much the only reliable source of good MechWarrior 2 DOS copies is ebay.
Usually there is 2-3 copies either in buy now or for being bid upon. Usually the bid upon ones go for maybe $14 USD including shipping.. dunno how much shipping would be to europe though.
This one here may or may not be the right version, if you contact the seller you could find out if it has the words Netmech in red on the cd, and 95/DOS.

Or you could just ask him to look at the pictureImage

Almost forgot, if you want a longer list of valid versions for multi please see this thread.
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Michael Knell
I.S. Baby

Post by Michael Knell »

Crap, I have a Pentium proccessor version. Damn, if I'm going to be paying ebay prices for another MW2 version to play online, I'd rather pay for MW4: Mercs and play MP3. I came here because I didn't want the hassle with MP3 in the first place. Damn, damn, damn. Sorry for the trouble.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Actually as i said, you can play online for free, just no singleplayer. There are other ways to make controls and mechs.
The download is in my first post.

Edit: More specifically, you can make mechs with your pentium version and import them, also the input.map is compatible as well.
All you do is follow the 95 patching guide to get the pentium version running.

I only mentioned buying the mech2 cd because you said you had mercs, but did not mention mech2.
wolfcub
I.S. Baby

Post by wolfcub »

I have a pentium Version of MW2 31st century warefare, it actually had a Dos version on it,just explore the disk in My Computer and look for something like install.exe and if you try to run them and it doesn't look like a windows installer,then your in business. On my disk Install.exe is for Dos and _minst.exe is for the Windows Install. Goodluck to ya mate, but ya you can play online without the disk at all for free, just so long as you either deal with standard controls or ask for someone to help you out and customize them for you and send you the input.map.
Michael Knell
I.S. Baby

Post by Michael Knell »

Sir MMPD Radick wrote:Actually as i said, you can play online for free, just no singleplayer. There are other ways to make controls and mechs.
The download is in my first post.

Edit: More specifically, you can make mechs with your pentium version and import them, also the input.map is compatible as well.
All you do is follow the 95 patching guide to get the pentium version running.

I only mentioned buying the mech2 cd because you said you had mercs, but did not mention mech2.
But can I play multiplayer with you guys with my Pentium version? I checked again, it has netmech, not mercnet as I stated previously.

I checked your thread with all the different versions, and it says there that I can't play multiplayer with my Win95 pentium version.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Yes, you cannot with that version, but what I am saying, (though maybe not clearly), we have a download provided that you can play netmech with.
The deal is you have to setup the mech2 95 version seperately and such if you want to configure your controls or make mechs. It is very easy to do.
See the FAQ for further info regarding 95 setup.
Michael Knell
I.S. Baby

Post by Michael Knell »

What download? All i see is netmech dos for download. No game for dl.