Hello, I have some old mercs files

New or Old say hi!
Khorg
I.S. Baby

Hello, I have some old mercs files

Post by Khorg »

I also have a massive hangover, so I'm going to try to make sense.

I have a 2.03 version of the NAIS shell, I think the one up here is 2.02. Also a similar shell made by someone else called MeX. I've actually never installed this, but allegedly it has something like 250 mech chassis in it. I think it was made by a guy called MaJiK in '99 for Mercs 1.1/Titanium. Lastly I grabbed a backup of the 'Mercs Mission Depot' site back in 2004, which is around 133 maps made for Mercs. There were four maps I wasn't able to grab, as the links for them were broken at that time.

If there's interest in putting these in the file section, I can upload them to a filehost somewhere, and someone can shift them over here.

Also I got mech2 working the other night. I had to create a bin/cue file this time, which I didn't have to do 5 years ago. weird, but it's working.

Hello all
Striker
House Steiner Private First Class
House Steiner Private First Class

Re: Hello, I have some old mercs files

Post by Striker »

Ah I remember MeX. It was the 1.1 version of NAIS, though sadly it wasn't finished. I am happy that you still have it though.

I would actually be interested in obtaining the backups of some of the maps from the Mission Depot if you have them.
Khorg
I.S. Baby

Post by Khorg »

Hey

I've uploaded a zip of all 133 maps (900k) I have to here http://www.filedropper.com/mwdepot

It's the first file host that came up in google, but I think I've used it before.

There are 4 html files from the original website named depot.html1-4. They have basic listings of the map name, version, author, planet, and I've marked out the four that I was never able to download 11 years ago due to the links/files being buggered. Most of the maps are in their own zip files, but there were five (HYP1-HYP5 by Hypertek) in exe files that I've never tried to open.

edit - I've just noticed I've posted on this site back in 2009, I guess I didn't really need to put this in the introductions section...
Warboy1982
I.S. Baby

Post by Warboy1982 »

my first post, hi everyone, etc.

please upload them, they're hard to find. i've managed to get NAIS shell working, and i'd like to see if i can manage something with MEX. i'm a programmer by trade, and no stranger to decompilation and reverse engineering, you never know what might come of it.

filedropper seems to have scrubbed your file, btw
Sapphire Wolf

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

Warboy1982 wrote:my first post, hi everyone, etc.

please upload them, they're hard to find. i've managed to get NAIS shell working, and i'd like to see if i can manage something with MEX. i'm a programmer by trade, and no stranger to decompilation and reverse engineering, you never know what might come of it.

filedropper seems to have scrubbed your file, btw
Can you give us a tutorial on how you manage to make NAIS work on Dosbox? or files for the modern fix?
I would love to find out
Warboy1982
I.S. Baby

Post by Warboy1982 »

Sapphire Wolf wrote: Can you give us a tutorial on how you manage to make NAIS work on Dosbox? or files for the modern fix?
I would love to find out
simple, really.
unzip NAIS shell 202 to your game folder, but before running the install.bat, replace MW2NAIS.EXE with the one from version 19a.
both files are available here but as Radick's copy of 19a is missing the chassis/mek files, and may be corrupted in some way, i have attached a complete version.

NAIS was coded in such a way as to dynamically detect and apply the chassis files. the file specs didn't change much, or possibly at all between versions, meaning you can use the exe from the earlier (working) version with all the mechs and vehicles from the later (not-working) one.
give it a test run in instant action with one of the new mechs to confirm it's all working as it should, and then join me in hoping we get to see a MEX download link.
if nothing else, i'd like to see if the extra mechs are "backwards compatible" as it were.
Attachments
naish19a.zip
(96.2 KiB) Downloaded 873 times
Sapphire Wolf

Post by Sapphire Wolf »

got it working now, thanks. :)
Khorg
I.S. Baby

Post by Khorg »

Hi

Long time between posts I'm afraid. I can't upload large files to the forum (they're 900k and 1.5meg), so to another file host it is..

MeX file:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 9786875585

MW Depot maps:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 8548231991

I'll try to find a more permanent upload location sometime.