Developer of MeckWarrior Weapons Editor (in VB)

New or Old say hi!
krissebesta
I.S. Baby

Developer of MeckWarrior Weapons Editor (in VB)

Post by krissebesta »

Hi all! I'm the developer of the MeckWarrior Weapons Editor (I changed the spelling because of copyright issues). This little utility would allow you to change any attribute of your weapons (damage, range, heat generated, weapon type, etc.) It even allowed you to create wholly new weapons (like heat seeking lasers and other oddities). Also, I created a completely new set of weapons AND 90 Mechs that came bundled with the weapons editor. My brother and I play tested all the new weapons and Mechs. My favorite weapons were the Mega Missile (slow and big but extremely deadly) and the Kamikaze (a small, short range, one shot laser that would kill any Mech it hit BUT it would also be the end of your Mech, for use when you know you're going to die so it allows you to also take out the other Mech before you die). Note that the pre-built Mechs with the Kamikaze is always in the head so be careful not to fire all your weapons (alpha strike) or you will blow yourself up.

How did the weapons editor affect multiplayer? Well, any modifications to your weapons are only active on your computer (unless you send the same weapons to all the other combatants). So if you shoot someone with a Mega Missile then they would only take the damage from what the original weapon was (LRM20 for instance). Basically it didn't work as people thought it would (enhancing the players Mech firepower didn't quite work as expected). In fact it kind of was the reverse, if you cranked up the damage on say, Large Lasers, then every time you were hit by someone else's Large Lasers you took the increased damage, yet they would only ever take the default damage (because their weapons had not been modified). Anyway, the weapons editor was not created for cheating, it was created to add variety and fun to your gameplay and the best way to play multiplayer is to share the weapons you created with all the players in the game. It's a whole new experience and quite fun when you get used to the new weapons.

Anyway, I still have this project (Visual Basic 4) and the compiled binaries if anyone wants to try it. It works on the DOS and Windows 95 and Monster 3D versions of MechWarrior 2 only. Contact me if you want a copy.

Cheers!
Kris (aka TriggerHappy)
Last edited by krissebesta on Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Developer of MeckWarrior Weapons Editor (in VB)

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Hey Kris, welcome aboard!

Ah I had always wondered who created that program as I do vaguely remember that (if its the one I think (edit: nm it is not the editor I was thinking of)). Glad you stopped by!
I don't think I have a copy of that program. I would be interested in messing with it if you would not mind attaching it here. :)

I am curious though would you be willing to share the source? I know others would be interested in seeing how you did the work.
(If not no worries just curious)

Anywho again welcome!
Stop by the IRC chat sometime we have games usually Friday 5 PM PST.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
krissebesta
I.S. Baby

Post by krissebesta »

Hi again, I'd be happy to post the source code and the Windows binary installer for the Weapons Editor! What file hosting site do you recommend? I'll try to get it uploaded in the next few days, I'll post it here when I do.

I'm a developer in my day job and I spent a few months reverse engineering the weapons properties and writing, debugging, and correcting the code. So it is very stable and written well enough that most people looking at the source code can understand what it is doing. I stopped updating the source code about a year after NetMech came out (and few months after the Windows 95/98 version of MechWarrior 2 came out) so if there has been a patch that is more recent then it may not work at all. If this is the case please let me know and I'll see if I can update the code to work with the latest versions (DOS and Windows).

I'd love to join one of your games. Real life always seems to override my time, however, but I'll keep it in mind.

Cheers!
Kris
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Awesome! Thank you!
Regards to hosting, well you should be able to attach it on the forums here. It should allow you to do it in a zip or rar form.. if it doesn't let me know i'll mess with the settings.
so if there has been a patch that is more recent then it may not work at all. If this is the case please let me know and I'll see if I can update the code to work with the latest versions (DOS and Windows).
As for patches, well there was the 1.1 patch, but that came out before mech2 95 so you probably accounted for it.
Honestly even if the code didn't work still interesting to look at.
I'd love to join one of your games. Real life always seems to override my time, however, but I'll keep it in mind.
No worries, but yeah if you ever get the time or urge to play cmon by!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
krissebesta
I.S. Baby

Post by krissebesta »

Hey again, I was able to locate the code and the installer for the weapons editor last week, however, I fell ill over the weekend and was too exhausted to bother uploading the files. I'm better now so I will be able to get to it this week (possibly tonight or tomorrow).

I was looking through the code and it does handle the 1.1 patch and even the 3Dfx - Monster 3D version of the game (if anyone remembers it). Ahhhh.... fond memories.... :D

I'll be in touch....
Kris
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

ouch sorry to hear that. I'm glad to hear your starting to do better now though!
No rush on it.
krissebesta
I.S. Baby

Re: Developer of MeckWarrior Weapons Shop (in VB)

Post by krissebesta »

I finally got around to bundling up the source code and the installer for the MechWarrior 2 Weapons Shop. After unRARing use the setup.exe in the Setup folder. If you get a DLL error during the install just click the Ignore button. All should be fine when you run it. If it doesn't run properly you can uninstall it and try installing it in a different folder (other than the Program Files (x86) folder). When you run the MW2 Weapons Shop it will prompt you for the location of each install of MechWarrior 2 (DOS, Windows, NetMech, and Monster 3D versions). Just click to the folder where you have it installed or click Cancel if you don't have it installed. Read the docs as they are quite thorough and e-mail me if you have any comments or questions at KrisSebesta at@ gmail.com

Click this link to download (approx. 4 meg): http://www.filedropper.com/mw2wpnsp

I had to upload it to filedropper.com because of the attachment size limit on this forum.

Hope you have fun with it!
Kris

Disclaimer: Note that MW2WpnSp.exe and PatchWpn.exe and all other programs/executables and source code included in the MW2WpnSp.rar are freeware and may be freely distributed in any form. The above described programs and source code does not come with any warranties and they/I cannot be held liable for any damages incurred during their use. Don't be scared by the disclaimer, these programs have been thoroughly tested and are very stable. Scanned by Avast! Anti-virus before posting.
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

hey thank you very much! looks good i'll be messing with this soon probably. :)

Sorry about the attach issue!

Thanks again!
krissebesta
I.S. Baby

Post by krissebesta »

No worries. I don't know how long the file hosting site will keep the file available on their server (often they remove files if 30 days pass without any downloads). Is there any chance you can put it somewhere that will be permanent?

I hope people have a good time playing around with the weapons editor. It sure was fun to create and test [recalls hours of hilarity play testing it with my brother]. Some of the weapons you can create are just bizarre and crazy. Have fun! - Kris
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Sure I'll stick it in the downloads section.