Battletech FASA board game

New or Old say hi!
ricktoffer
I.S. Baby

Battletech FASA board game

Post by ricktoffer »

Does anyone out there still play the FASA Battletech miniatures board game? I got over 300 Mechs and 300+ tanks,hovercraft, vtols, trucks, command units, infantry, gunboats,submarines and aerotech fighters and bombers. Started playing in 1989 and by 1995 had this much invested into the game, just buying a few two to four mechs and two vechicles every two weeks on payday sure added up over that time. I got lucky at a flea market and got the older mechs that was from the macross saga cartoon wich FASA had to quit making like the warhammer,archer,lams and many other mechs and tanks for .25 cents a peice. Also for .50 cents a book i got a lot of the older battletech manuals and unit books. Just wondering if anyone still likes the original game out there?
Sir MMPD Radick
Clan Nova Captain
Clan Nova Captain

Re: Battletech FASA board game

Post by Sir MMPD Radick »

Well, personnally i don't know anyone that plays otherwise i would be collecting them myself.
Cyril though in last few years was playing in some groups that were around his area.

Mostly though I think these days people have switched to megamek since it is more convenient to play it online.
James 3:5-10: My Reminder
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Cyril
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class
House Steiner Warrant Officer First Class

Post by Cyril »

call hobby shops in your area and see if any have games on the weekends.

if you wanna play megamek, would be more than happy to help ya get setup and play ya. just hop on the netmech IRC chat or PM me.
LordNova2
House Steiner Sergeant
House Steiner Sergeant

Post by LordNova2 »

I am a collector of the table-top games, but since I am in small-town Iowa not to many people play board games at all, so I just have boxed sets and lots of books but never got into the minatures all that much.
I did try to start a project on one of my sites (mechforce.us) where I modified a dating site script so that players and groups of CBT could post up a profile to try to find other players/groups to play with, however it has never realy cought on.

It also depends upon what era you plan on playing your sessions in, while books like "BattleTech Master Rules" have been de-cannonized with with "Total Warfare" the game still plays all the same unless your getting into the newer campaigns where you're useing the War-Chest (or whatever that point-system is called).
Also the newer manuals and rules are combining allot of the older stuff togeather under one roof, particularly expansion rules that were given out here and there in manuals along with bringing weapons and equipment up to date with the Jihad Era timeline, and right now they are just starting to release materials for the Dark-Age Era for CBT. I know some players even dispize the Jihad and Dark-Age erras, and donot play them at all.

Those older minatures you got that FASA (Iron Wind Metals rather) had to quit making are still used today, however you want to treat them with care since they are a bit of a colectors item today. If the minatures themselves are in good condition, all in tact and not missing pieces (not counting the paint-job), you practically stole them for $0.25/mini if they are in good shape, even with the newer minatures that was a steal since they can range from $5-$15/mini.
And like I said before it all depends upon which era you plan to play in. There are also some paper cut-outs you can obtaine from the PRI website (pryderockindustries.com) that work great too.
In the Jihad Era they brought back some of the LAMs, I want to say it was the 3085 TRO that re-introduced some of the old LAMs with altered artwork to avoid litigations with Harmony Gold.
But if you got minitures are from as late as '95 then there is a good cnace that half the minis in your collection are still in use, or able to substute another model of the same chasis.

If you can find a gaming group they would gladly help you out on getting up to snuff on the newer rules if you have some of the older FASA stuff and want to try getting back into the game. Like I said the game pritty much plays all the same, it is not until you start getting into the advanced/optional rules until you start seeing changes and additions with the newer materials, along with the progression through the timeline with newer mechs and units.
And if you can find a few guys in your area that are interested in trying out the game you could easily start out with the old FASA materials and expand from there. And now-days you can get the manuals in PDF on your computer for half the price or better, I would recomend battlecorps.com for PDF materials.